All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Default 500W Inverter Circuit Diagram

Pls i need inverter circuit diagram for about 500W
Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Google has this - http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/power/invert1_00.htm.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Harry's inverter circuit has the multivibrator transistors operating from 12V.
Their emitter-base junctions break down in an avalanche breakdown when the multivibrator's supply voltage is more than about 7V. It is bad for them.

The output of his inverter is a square-wave but many electronic products need the higher peak voltage of a sine-wave or of a modified sine-wave.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
Their emitter-base junctions break down in an avalanche breakdown when the multivibrator's supply voltage is more than about 7V. It is bad for them.
Don't the base resistors drop most of that 12V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
The output of his inverter is a square-wave but many electronic products need the higher peak voltage of a sine-wave or of a modified sine-wave.
Indeed. This is especially true of induction motors. I remember trying to run a drill motor from an inverter back in the early 80's. I got a whole 1/8 turn from it.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to S_lannan

i was looking up 3phase inverters and saw a 500watt 3 phase for electric motors that used 60hz square waves to drive a motor.

would that inverter work well for a motor? i'm curious.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Three phase motors work a little differently from single phase induction motors. They're sort of like stepper motors. Sort of.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/7.html

Compare this to the field in a single phase motor: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/9.html

Many campers, homesteaders, and other folk are wanting to run a blender in the wilderness. Many inverter designs therefore use PWM to emulate a sinusoidal output.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingmaker3 View Post
Don't the base resistors drop most of that 12V?
No.
The capacitor charges to 11.3V. Then the other transistor conducts and tries to force this transistor's base down to -11.1V but the emitter-base junction breaks down at about -7V.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure? Looks like a common astable multivibrator circuit to me. http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ex-multivib.html

Am I missing something unique to Harry's circuit?
- Michael Faraday
Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but thought I would comment on the design.

First, Harry is using a toroidal style power transformer. Normally this style is fine except for the difficulty in manufacturing. But there is one other problem in push/pull inverter circuits.

If the timing sequences between the two switches differs by anything, and I do mean anything, over a period of cycles the operating point on the BH curve will walk up the curve or down the curve. It acts like a DC component. The result of curve walking is the transformer can/WILL saturate even if for olny a few cycles.

The result can be disastrous for the switches!!!

Yes, people do design things that get into production with similar problems and then one wonders why "gee, what caused that switch to fail!" Gapping the core can help. Gapping the core does not stop the problem but it greatly reduces it by "tilting" the BH curve. It also add to the magnetizing current which adds to the switch current along with other things and must be addressed during the design.

One of the worse situation I came across when I was a design engineer was so called simple circuits that popped up during engineering concept meetings along with the challenge "why won't this circuit work?" Many of those simple circuits did indeed work but it took many hours of engineering to establish the working boundary conditions to ensure it worked over the limits of component, voltage, current and temperature tolerances.

Foggy
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for semiconductor circuit competencies
Worksheet Signal modulation
Worksheet Oscillator circuits
Worksheet Rectifying diodes
Textbook Tesla polyphase induction motors : Ac Motors
Textbook Audio oscillator : Discrete Semiconductor Circuits