All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Default H Bridge & Voltage Drop calculation.

Hi all, I have a little question about my H bridge circuit with schematics attached as jpg file.

So, I have a circuit which is the same H Bridge as the image where the PNP Darlington are TIP127 and the NPN Darlington are TIP122 but without RX, the comparator and the zener diode.

The circuit I have attached is one that I will make new for a project, where of course, a 12VDC motor will be connected to the H Bridge.
I this new circuit I have to calculate the value for VX, which will be connected to the non inverting input of the comparator, so depending on the value for RX I will have a value for VX and than I'll can determine the value for the zener diode, but I am not totally sure about how to determine this value.

Testing the real H Bridge circuit, I connected it to 12V power supply, in point A e B I measured 10,6V (Voltage drop equals for two Darlington tranistor) and I measured the current consumed by the 12VDC motor connected to it and is about 70mA.

With these values, calculating the value for VX, so, treating the situation as a normal voltage drop formula, if I am not wrong, the formula is:

VX = VAB * RX / (RX + RMotor)

Where
VAB is the total voltage I have in output from the H Bridge and RMotor is the total resisteance of the motor, in my case 10,6V/70mA = 151,4 Ohm.

I am right, or I'm wrong and I am missing some detail?
unfortunately I don't have any potentiometer to determine it physically right now
Thank you for your help.
Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HBC.jpg (67.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by simo_x; 04-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 PM

Hi simo_x,

Start by picking an arbitrary voltage drop you can live with across RX. Usually you will want this to be as low as possible since it would subract from the motor voltage and therefore torque.

Example: if you want to keep the voltage drop less than 1 Volt then try RX=8.2Ω. Therefore, Vrx= motor current X RX = 0.07 X 8.2 = 0.574 Volts.

Use a 4.7V zener and get the detection level (0.574V) with a resistor divider.

Using this approach, you can re-calculate the values to suit your requirements.

MOSFETs would be a better choice for H-Bridge drivers as they would have much less voltage drop across them.

Regards,
Ifixit
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Hi ifixit, thank you very much. Now is all clear!
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Zener diodes
Textbook Zener diodes : Diodes And Rectifiers