All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Default How to check a CAPACITOR

How to check a capacitor if its defective or not using analog and digital multimeter?
Thanks.....

Allied
Old 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM

If it's not electrolytic and you can't meter it, then you might as well taste it.

Defective electolytics usually show signs, like blown-out vent plugs, or having grown noticablly taller than the label.

Why do you need to be able to check caps without test equipment?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 PM

Wow, I've never really thought about that until now. I don't think it's possible to use a multimeter. The first way that comes to my mind is put it into a RC network, and calculate how long after charging fully it should discharge to 37% of its final value.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Imagine if the value is 15 pF? And how do you track the voltage down to 37% without a meter?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 PM

You can use your multimeter as an ohmmeter to test the capacitor.

1) Discharge the capacitor by shortening its leads. That is - use a wire and connect the leads of the capacitor together. This will discharge it.

2) put your multimeter in the high ranges 10K-1M

3)CONNECT MULTIMETER TO CAPACITOR LEADS(OBSERVE THE POLARITY IF ELECTROLYTIC). AT SOON AS THE LEADS MAKE CONTACT, THE METER WILL SWING NEAR ZERO. IT WILL THEN MOVE SLOWLY TOWARD INFINITY. FINALLY THE METER WOULD COME TO BE INFINITE OHMS BECAUSE THE CAPACITOR IS BEING CHARGED BY THE BATTERY OF THE MULTIMETER.

4) IF THE CAPACITOR IS BAD, IT WILL GO TO ZERO OHMS AND REMAIN THERE. THIS IS CALLED A SHORTENED CAPACITOR

5) IN THE CASE OF AN OPEN CAPACITOR THERE WILL BE NO OHMMETER INDICATION.

6)SOME CAPACITORS HAVE A LOW DIELECTRIC LEAKAGE. YOU WILL KNOW THIS IF THE OHMMETER COMES TO REST AT A POINT LOWER THAN INFINITE. TEST A KNOWN GOOD CAPACITOR OF THE SAME TYPE TO BE SURE
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Vincin's method will work with sufficiently large capacitor values. (Especially if one uses an analog meter.) Tiny capacitors can only be checked with a capacitance meter, or by using them in an AC circuit and checking for variation from calculated voltage drop.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 AM

Adding to what Vincin said: Reverse the leads and look for a major kick in the needle. If the cap charged from the DC voltage induced by the meter, the cap will discharge when the leads are reversed, causing a twitch in the needle.

Last edited by Tube Tech; 03-26-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM

How about an ESR meter?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM

To effectively test acapacitor one should use capacitance meter -one that reads in uF nF pF, an ESR meter is very useful for checking electrolytics in circuit, they are cases where the uF was good on acapacitance meter but cap had high ESR as shown on an ESR one. The point is one meter may not adequately serve all your needs.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Video Lecture Inductors (Part 3) - Troubleshooting - Inductors,Capacitors,Transformers
Worksheet Capacitors
Worksheet Kirchhoff's Laws
Worksheet Basic ohmmeter use
Textbook Meter check of a diode : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Ohmmeter usage : Basic Concepts And Test Equipment
Textbook Voltmeter usage : Basic Concepts And Test Equipment
Textbook Ohmmeter design : Dc Metering Circuits
Textbook High voltage ohmmeters : Dc Metering Circuits
Textbook Multimeters : Dc Metering Circuits