All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 AM

Default Multiplying a DC voltage without a transformer?

I know an AC voltage can be multiplied and converted to a high dc voltage using a voltage multiplier.

Is there any way to multiply a DC or pulsed DC voltage to say 20kV without the use of a transformer???
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Expert Member

Going from a low voltage to 20kv wouldn't really be practical without the use of a transformer.

You could use switched capacitor networks to boost DC, but it certainly would take a while, and you'd lose power in the switching/charging/etc.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:27 AM

OK. I was just wondering because I have never seen or heard of any other way than by using a transformer. Seems to me it would be just as easy to use a small inverter and voltage multiplier, or a transformer like you mentioned.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Expert Member

Well, you can use switched inductors in a boost configuration to go up maybe 20x or so your input voltage pretty easily. But if you want to go from 12v to 20kv, that's really a different ballgame.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

And you can use a diode multiplier for lower increases, like X2 or X3. It requires a switching oscillator though, but that is an easy option nowadays.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 AM

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=Is there any way to multiply a DC or pulsed DC voltage to say 20kV without the use of a transformer???[/QUOTE]

Yes. Use a vandegraaff generator that uses a DC motor to run the belt.

Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 PM

dear friends

how can i calculate the value of capacitance and capacity of diode which use for voltage doubler

many thanks
gamal yones
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 PM

LOL! The Van De Graff generator is a perfectly reasonable answer, considering nobody said how much current was needed. Thanks. Your imagination struck me as funny and I appreciate a laugh.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Basic AC-DC power supplies
Worksheet Advanced electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Textbook AC voltmeters and ammeters : Ac Metering Circuits
Textbook Electrical isolation : Transformers
Textbook Special transformers and applications : Transformers
Textbook Square wave signals : Mixed-frequency Ac Signals
Textbook Input and output coupling : Bipolar Junction Transistors