All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Abstract Forums > Physics

Notices

Physics Discussion forum for anything physics related.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Default radio frequency could burn salt water

who can explain why radio frequency could burn salt water
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM

How do you mean "burn" salt water?

It is no secret that RF and microwaves can heat water and there is an associated super-heating phenomenon, but I'd don't understand the notion of "burning" (which to me implies charring etc) with regards to salt water.

Dave
Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM

I remember this from last year, but not too many details. He means burn, like an actual flame. I'll remember to look later, see if I can dig something up.

*edit
http://www.wpbf.com/news/13383827/detail.html

Simple Google search... West Palm Beach, Florida... No wonder I remembered it, not too far away from here. Anyway, you have to put more energy in, then you could hope to generate from the heat. Neat trick, but not sure what it would be good for, but perhaps I just don't understand all the details.

Last edited by HarveyH42; 05-18-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Found the article
Old 05-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyH42 View Post
I remember this from last year, but not too many details. He means burn, like an actual flame. I'll remember to look later, see if I can dig something up.
Thanks Harvey, I would be interested in look anything you can dig out.

Like I said above I'm familiar with the underpinning so of microwave (or RF) super-heating, but "burning" is not something I have come across in the traditional sense of the word.

Dave
Old 05-19-2008, 03:40 AM

I was under the impression that the microwaves were used to resonate the H20 enough to break them apart, but its still just plain old energy wasting hydrolysis..
I'm unclear on the role of the salt here though.. Is it necessary for auto-combustion? Or necessary to actually have any decent probability of fully severing the water? I can imagine how it assists the process, but is an electrolyte as important under induced RF conditions as it is under DC or AC?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 AM

There are quite a few posts on YouTube concerning "Burning Saltwater", and "Saltwater as fuel". Apparently, there is an inventor named John Kanzious (spelling may not be correct) who was working on a couple of inventions at the time when he discovered that he could disassociate H and O from Saltwater using a Radiofrequency generator. One project he was working on was using RF power to desalinate sea water, and another project was using RF power as a means to treat cancerous cells in the body. During his experimentation, he had discovered that he could ignite the gases given off from saltwater while in an RF field. Well, the News Media latched on to that story and turned it into a bunch of ridiculous hype, saying things like "can you imagine burning saltwater in your car instead of gasoline?"! Even Kanzious made a comment during one of the videos where he said, "Imagine a flame like that inside the engine of your car!". Well, of course everyone got all excited over the possibility of "burning saltwater" in your car instead of gasoline. This story took off like skyrockets and now there are tens or maybe even hundreds of YouTube videos claiming that saltwater is a fuel that can replace gasoline. A lot of the hype is propagated by the "Free Energy" quacks who don't understand physics or chemistry. Anyhow, that's where this concept of "burning saltwater" originated.

If you want to get a laugh (or maybe get sick to your stomach) search on key words "Saltwater as fuel" on YouTube. Anyone with even an elementary background in Physics or Chemistry will roll their eyes while watching those videos because of the ludicrous claims that are made. (I sure did!!!)
Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM

This sort of thing always happens when something (in this instance water) that doesn't appear to be ignitable subsequently is, and then there is mass-hysteria about it being the solution to the West's oil-dependence. I've read it a million times. Then free-energy goons get in on it telling us we get something for nothing - the energy required to generate the RF will massively out strip that that can be released from the water.

I will have a look at the videos on youtube for my amusement.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Voltboy

Im pretty sure this website could help.. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/salt-water-fuel.htm
Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Im pretty sure this website could help.. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/salt-water-fuel.htm
From page two of the article:"While the RFG produces a hydrogen flame that burns stably, the amount of energy it puts out is less than the amount of energy needed to power the RFG. In this sense, any energy that comes out of the salt-water flame cannot be considered a source of power. It's just a manifestation of the energy being put into it, only in a lesser amount. This makes it unlikely that the RFG could produce a real, viable source of fuel."
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Voltboy

Thats completely true.. but in the 1800's who would imagine that petroleum was really helpful.. who knows if burning salt water would be efficent someday, same as H cars and other variations.

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook Ohm's Law (again!) : Electrical Safety
Worksheet Phase-locked loops
Worksheet Elementary amplifier theory
Worksheet Electrical conduction in semiconductors
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for AC circuit competencies
Worksheet Passive integrator and differentiator circuits
Worksheet Design Project: Audio tone control
Video Lecture Op Amp Applications - Active Filters - Op Amps and Op Amp Circuits
Textbook Practical considerations of ADC circuits : Digital-analog Conversion
Textbook Ohmmeter usage : Basic Concepts And Test Equipment