SMD soldering, first try.

I've always thought that SMD soldering is hard. And I guess it is, when it comes to advanced circuits and SMD ICs.

I had my first try this evening. Both with SMD soldering, and etching with Ferric Chloride.

I've etched a few boards, and I've used Natriumpersulfate, at approximately 50°C. Lot of rigging and waiting and boiling.

First time Ferric Chloride.

Today I got my hands on some Ferric Chloride, and I gave it a try. It was much quicker than what I'm used to, and being careful with the safety, it was clean too. The ferric had just about room temperature, and worked like a charm.

Next question is: How and where to store it?

Board is scanned at 1200dpi, and scaled to 640

The procedure was quite easy. I tinned one of the pads, aligned the component, held it in place with some tweezers, and re-heated the solder. The component then sank into the solder and was fastened. The other side was just a short heating with the solder iron, and apply the solder.

Picture is taken with high resolution and scaled to 640.

Not bad for a first timer...

Now I need to figure out a nice and easy way to store the SMD components, because I am definitely considering starting with those. The size for these is 0805. And the outline of the board is 23 x 35mm.

A new era has started in my journey in the world of electronics...

Blog entry information

Author
nerdegutta
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from nerdegutta

Share this entry