Hardware ready(ish)

The rocket and electronics package are built.

The electronics package sits on a 3D-printed base which mounts at the base of the nosecone using two screws. A 16GB Micro-SD card is more-or-less permanently attached using double-sticky tape to hopefully prevent vibration or acceleration related failures during flight. Holes have been drilled in the nosecone for two mounting screws, a viewport for the light sensor and access port for the temperature sensor (which I will pull outside the envelope of the nose cone when the electronics package is installed), as well as an access port for the USB port. The rocket strap and parachute are attached to the bottom of the base (not shown here).

The base station consists of a second LoRa Featherwing radio module and a Teensy-LC. I haven't been able to do any range testing yet but may also add a counterpoise ground wire to both antennas.

I am using a reed switch connected to the MAX32630FTHR board's PWR input to turn the system on and off when running on battery. I am a little concerned that it may accidently be triggered by the acceleration during flight (I have the reed contacts oriented parallel to the ground). I think I may also have to include another LED to indicate when the board is powered because it's hard to tell when the board has been switched off with the default "off" timing requirement (holding the switch depressed for at least 12 seconds).

Firmware development has started. I have run into problems with the SPI library so currently I'm using a bit-banged software implementation to talk to the MAX31865 and LoRa Radio module. It's slow (1 Mbps). I had hopes of a multi-threaded implementation but time may restrict me to a very simple single loop, polled implementation.

Blog entry information

Author
djdesigns
Views
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from djdesigns

Share this entry