full functioning up/down synchronous binary counter demo.

OK in this video, a lot of progress is being made, I just learned about synchroneous counters, reading through my books and doing research on binary up/down counters, and in this video I share what I learned and how to implement steering circuitry (logic gating) to acquire the abiity to count in binary both up and down, as well as pick up in the count where it was left off, in the reverse order of counting.
This is going to be very nice to use for a project I have in mind, I want to shift a one bit of data, across a led grid, to emulate a very primitive action of player movement like was used in the old atari games, where you direct a object using a joystick, if I were to use shift registers to emulate this function, it would require 8 registers, plus all the logic gating to shift left to right, as well as at power up a universal clear would need to be used to clear all registers, then a one bit data would need to be entered followed with a clock pulse just to get a object on the grid (led lighted).
Thats a lot of transistors to employ, but with this up/down counter, I can emulate 8 bits of movement with as little as 3 registers, and then a few transistors to make a decoder, to get singular bit output, and no matter what the counter holds at power up, it will always be a one bit data, never more than one bit, so no need for universal clear or any of that.
The next video I'll show how I am designing a binary to decimal decoder to work with this up/down binary counter.
In that video I hope to have a homemade joystick built for demonstration, of moving a player across a playfield, probably one row of leds's for the time, then move into RC timing circuits to make gaming effects, like when something is being launched from the player all that will come in later videos.

Blog entry information

Author
hobbyist
Views
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from hobbyist

Share this entry