DIY Electric Bicycle, Entry #1: Getting Started

Well, I took my 18-speed mountain bicycle out of the storage shed this spring and realized there was a lot to be desired--The chain was somewhat stiff, the rear brake was completely frozen, and the chain derailer was in terrible condition, along with some other minor issues. When I was thinking about everything that had to be done to it, I decided that while I was fixing it up, I'd might as well make a few modifications to it, as well.
I always thought it would be fun to put an electric motor on a bicycle. I decided that if I was ever going to try it, now was my chance.
Throughout this blog I will be posting my progress on my DIY electrical motorized bicycle, including individual steps, the necessary parts and their sources, and photos of the bike so far.
As with most of the things I build, this is a very low-budget project intended for someone with little money who wants something fun to work on. Most, if not all, of the parts can be scrounged up for very cheap (usually free) from a home, recycling center, or a scrap yard.
When the bicycle is finished I will post videos of it in operation. Please feel free to comment on the entries--any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you for reading, and as always, I hope you enjoy this project as much as I do :D
Der Strom

Blog entry information

Author
DerStrom8
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from DerStrom8

Share this entry