Bring it on SOL!

I am awaiting my order for 108 solar cells.

The project for the DC only living space will be partial solar, partial wind.

I have started my calculations for the battery bank and have decided to stay with 6 - 8v DeepCycle batteries. The 8volts have a .11" thick plate size which is very good for the price I can get them for. I will connect them together in two - 3 battery groups. Then connect the two groups in parallel. That should leave me with 300ah at 24vdc each group for a bank total of 24v at ~500amp-hours.

My calculations are the total wattage in a battery pack divided by 5, which gives you the wattage available in the 20% of a battery you shouldn't discharge past for max reliability.
So the total I foresee available is (24vdc x 500a)/5 = 2400 watts. I figured on a 20% max discharge with these. Hopefully that will never happen, but I will calculate for that.

Duing daytime conditions, the average rating for the solar, will give me- 180 watts. So I should be compensating about ~10% of the load per hour during sunny conditions. These numbers do not account for the wind turbines output at all. I wanted to ensure redundancy in case of failure or the end of the world.

Blog entry information

Author
retched
Views
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from retched

Share this entry