Adventures as an Undergraduate TA

A couple of weeks ago, I volunteered for a undergraduate teaching assistant position for an introductory course on microcontrollers and embedded systems for sophomores. It was an unpaid position and required me to dedicate 4-5 hours a week for labs. My application was accepted and I have been helping out in conducting labs twice a week now.

I admit I was nervous going in - partly due to the sheer number of student I'd have to handle (40 odd in each session) and probably also because I felt I wouldn't be able to perform well enough and be judged badly. This was especially due to the fact that it was a completely hands-on session and you can't escape a difficult situation or question by the standard bullet-dodging technique ('Good question. I'll get back to you later on this') or by giving a mini-monologue entirely unrelated to the question - both of which lecturers I know seem to do often.

The course is based on the venerable 8051 architecture and is almost entirely assembly coding. I haven't done any assembly in a long time. Heck, I haven't done much assembly at all. The thought of debugging assembly listings on more than three dozen computers on a forgotten architecture terrified me no end. What if there is a hardware problem I'm not able to debug? Or if I couldn't answer a theory problem? Or if I made a fool of myself asserting things that weren't? Crazy thoughts kept swimming in my head as the day approached.

Truth be told, it was a little scary walking into a class filled with students only a couple of years younger than me. I actually was a little afraid when one of the student groups called me to debug their code. I might even have fumbled a bit and probably would also have given an unconvincing answer (or two) in the beginning. But all of it picked up in almost no time. Pretty soon I was enjoying myself debugging assembly, getting serial communications to work, solving hardware problems and answering questions. It was rather enjoyable and not even slightly as difficult as I thought it would be.

The next lab, which was on the following day, was an even smoother ride. I made up for the mistakes I did earlier and got a lot more comfortable working with 8051 again and in assembly too, for a change.
In fact, the course instructor left early, for some reason, in the next lab and I had the whole lab to myself with questions flying here and there. A couple of days ago, this would have been my nightmare. Surprisingly it didn't go bad at all. I was capable of handling technical queries (albeit basic ones) from 43-odd students for over 90 minutes. I would be lying if I said that that wasn't an ego boost.

Fast forward two weeks and today, five lab sessions later, I actually got to do some 'real teaching'. I delivered a short C brief for the guys who haven't had much experience with it earlier - the basics of startup routines, variable scopes and stacks initialization. It was fun although I did go off on slight tangents here and there but that was primarily because I wasn't able to contain myself.

The experience so far has been great and I hope it would continue to be so for the rest of the semester. It taught me about the incredible power a mentor holds. It is a difficult job made worse by all the other responsibilities teachers have to handle (which I have been fortunate enough not to deal with, yet). But for all its complexities, it is satisfying too and very much so. I hope I get to do this again sometime later in my life.

Thanks for reading.

Blog entry information

Author
ActivePower
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from ActivePower

Share this entry