ZVS Induction Heater

RyanRDB

Joined May 13, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and am working on a small ZVS induction heater.

I think I pretty much got it down, but I've been searching the forum (& the rest of the internet) for days and can't find a concrete explanation on exactly how it's wired up.

This is what I figured out so far:

Positive current: Connects to the choke --> center tap of working coil & the resistors?
Negative current: Connects to the mosfet’s source pins?

Diodes: Connect from the gate of mosfet (a) to the drain of mosfet (b) -- and vice versa.
Resistors: Connect from the gate of each mosfet to the (+) current
Mosfets:
-- Gate: Only connected to the diodes and resistors
-- Drain: Connects to the leg of the work coil & the diode
-- Source: Connects to the (-) current?

If anyone could give me some feedback, it'd be super helpful. I'm mostly confused about how to connect the mosfets' source pins, the resistors, and also how to connect the negative current cable. Thanks!

RyanRDB

Joined May 13, 2014
Thanks for the reply - I actually just fixed that right after I posted it. Do the other connections look alright to you though?

RyanRDB

Joined May 13, 2014
Thanks for replying guys.

Does it work now?
No, still not working. The mosfets warm up to about 100-110 degrees but that's about all that happens.. The capacitors stay totally cool, and nothing I put in the coil warms up at all. What's a little interesting is the led on my PSU starts flashing on and off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ZufBiTJpM&feature=youtu.be ... Not sure what's going on.

Also use two inductors and get rid of the centertapped work coil.
I was wondering if that would be better -- "ElectronicsNMore" was telling me that the center tap was needed "so the current is able to flow in two directions to create the alternating magnetic field." He made a couple really good videos on zvs induction heaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYMLnXW9uo

What software did you use to draw the wiring picture??? I would like to do that.
Lol, nothing special - just MS Paint.

Also, here is thread is for a Magnetic Induction Heater Circuit using a Class E Power Amp: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=94696
Thanks for the link - most of the info is a bit over my head, as I'm still pretty new to electronics/circuitry.. I'll learn as much as I can from it though.

Anyone have any ideas of why it's not working? If it's because I'm not using enough power, does anyone have any ideas on how I could make it work with a 12v / 5a PSU?

Here's a couple pics of my setup:

Thanks guys

Last edited:

murrayh

Joined Feb 15, 2018
What's up guys, thought I'd give you an update -- Got it to work:

My Induction Heater - (youtube)

Thanks for all the advice!

What ended up being the solution? I cant seem to get mine going. Same symptoms. Ive tried a different coil with more turns, more or less caps and it will still max out the current of whatever its connected (13.5A) to with nothing inside the coils.... double checked seeming everything!