Zoom Stereo/Video Microscope for SMD

tunes

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Does anyone have an opinion on using this for SMD soldering???

http://boomstandmicroscope.com/0007b10m.html

It has both CCD camera and USB cameras included. Working distance seems adequate.

Clearly the magnification is way too much for SMD work but useful for other inspection needs and documentation. I would use it at the lower mags. I like the idea of a zoom magnification!

I just don't know if the optics are any good or if one could possible solder using the USB or CCD camera images even though you lose 3D?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hi Tunes,

Welcome to the forum!

I can't speak to this specific make or model, but stereo microscopes are awesome for SMD soldering. My advice, caveat being I only used these a handful of times, is stick with looking through the optics to do your soldering. It takes a little getting used to, but it won't take long.

Being able to see it on a screen is nice if you need to demo something or sit back and examine something, but I wouldn't consider it a "must have". These are also great for removing splinters.

I haven't compared prices in awhile, but also check eBay. Work bought all of their's from there.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have a conventional optical only microscope I routinely use when building breadboards, where I mostly use SMD parts and jumper wires. While I have no issues using the eyepieces, a TV screen would be a plus' not essential but useful, especially when more then 1 person is involved. A camera is a great aid in documenting what you see.

I have no inputs on price, I'm assuming you can surf it out as well as I could.