Zero volts means a short or open?

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Fluke 87 specs:
http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2161164_6116_ENG_B_W.PDF

Seems like the highest is 5Khz for measure AC voltage

Any reason why they want the power supply to be at a very high frequency?

How would a Troubleshooting tech know if zero volts is an open component or a short component?

Cause a short to ground can cause components to measure zero volts, but so can an open component cause components to measure zero volts

So how would a troubleshooting rule out its an OPEN component? because of why

What is it called when a diode is not open or shorted , but measures a voltage like .175 volts in reverse or forward biased? it's not called a short or an open, its called what?

What is it called when a component is shorted or open in a network , stage or circuit that causes other components around it has altered it's voltage or/& resistance for there normal values when taking measurements?

I see this a lot when I'm troubleshooting, when a component is shorted or open it alters the resistance values of resistors, capacitors values, voltages, but what is the name of this?

YokoTsuno

Joined Jan 1, 2013
Seems like the highest is 5Khz for measure AC voltage
The datasheet of your DMM specifies 20kHz as upper range. That doesn't mean it stops working at 30kHz. It's probably less accurate (Most likely a lower reading). At a certain frequency readings become meaningless though.

Any reason why they want the power supply to be at a very high frequency?
I assume you're talking about a switched mode power supply (SMPS). Higher frequencies mean smaller transformers and therefore smaller overall PCB and less weight.

How would a Troubleshooting tech know if zero volts is an open component or a short component?
He or she wouldn't. It depends on the location and function of that component within its circuit. One needs to be able to read a schematic drawing. That's why technicians and engineers train for several years.

What is it called when a diode is not open or shorted , but measures a voltage like .175 volts in reverse or forward biased? it's not called a short or an open, its called what?
It's probably called a real diode. Perfect diodes only exist in textbooks.

What is it called when a component is shorted or open in a network, stage or circuit that causes other components around it has altered it's voltage or/& resistance for there normal values when taking measurements?
Collateral damage maybe? I have to admit that my English has room for improvement.

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
It's probably called a real diode. Perfect diodes only exist in textbooks.
No,it's a zener diode at .7 volts normal at forward biased

This Bad zener diode is .175 volts forward biased and reversed bias

It's not a short and it's not an open, what is this called?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
No,it's a zener diode at .7 volts normal at forward biased

This Bad zener diode is .175 volts forward biased and reversed bias

It's not a short and it's not an open, what is this called?
How is it placed in the circuit, you're only giving us half the information . It's hard to give you a valid answer with little information given

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And many components won't measure a correct value when "in circuit". Due to the components connected to them in the circuit.

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Yes the Diode is " out of circuit " it measure .175 volts forward biased and reversed biased what is this called ? its not a short or an open

Yes I know the junctions are broken down in side, but its not called a short, leakage or an open, its called what?

And many components won't measure a correct value when "in circuit". Due to the components connected to them in the circuit.
Also, what is this called when you get these types of "In circuit" measurements? it this circuit impendance's?

When A component is shorted or open, it changes the "in circuit" measurements, what is it changing? the "in circuit" resistances change but is this called impedance?

YokoTsuno

Joined Jan 1, 2013
Yes the Diode is " out of circuit " it measure .175 volts forward biased and reversed biased what is this called ? Yes I know the junctions are broken down in side, but its not called a short, leakage or an open, its called what?
If the DMM is in DIODE -|<|- mode and this is indeed a diode, it is shorted. A short is not always zero. In fact the failed diode might have a remaining resistance which result in a reading of 0.175. Watch this video. A diode that's working properly shows a reading of
- around 0.5 - 0.7 when it's forward biased
- OL when it is reverse biased

Also, what is this called when you get these types of "In circuit" measurements?it this circuit impendance's?
No, you can look as impedance as a sort of resistance which only applies to AC, not DC.

When A component is shorted or open, it changes the "in circuit" measurements, what is it changing?
That's impossible to predict. Depends on the nature of the circuit and location of the failed component in the circuit.

Good luck

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
If the DMM is in DIODE -|<|- mode and this is indeed a diode, it is shorted. A short is not always zero. In fact the failed diode might have a remaining resistance which result in a reading of 0.175. Watch this video. A diode that's working properly shows a reading of
- around 0.5 - 0.7 when it's forward biased
- OL when it is reverse biased
Yes true it does in DVM diode mode, but its measuring 0.175 in DVM diode mode in both direction

A shorted diode means the continuity is 0.2 ohms , it's like a bare wire

Open Diode, measures OL , overload on the DVM meter

When the diode has its junctions broken and it is at .175 volts it's not a short or open its called something

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
What is this called when you get these types of "In circuit" measurements
When using the DVM meter in ohms mode

The resistor can be a 10K ohm out of circuit , but in circuit it can measure between any value

When taking "in circuit" measurements , what is this resistance reading called?

When A component is shorted or open, it changes the "in circuit" measurements, what is it changing?
What I mean is it changes the resistance reading on the components around the shorted or open component, the resistance reading on my DVM meter has changed the " In circuit resistance?

Is it just called the In circuit resistance?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
in ohms mode
When taking "in circuit" measurements , what is this resistance reading called?
Is it just called the In circuit resistance?
Immediately after calling this, "in circuit resistance", it is usually called, "invalid".
The resistance reading you get when measuring, "in circuit" is 1/(the sum of all conductance paths between those 2 points). It is usually very difficult to visualize all the conductance paths in both polarities, and you must do that to get any useful information. That is why, "in circuit" measurements are not often used. Only simple circuits or simple sections of larger circuits can provide useful information from in circuit measurements. Far more often than not, no useful information can be had from in circuit measurements. If in circuit measuring was really useful, we wouldn't be spending so much time unsoldering parts to measure them.

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Where did you learn that a shorted diode always has a reading of 0.2 Ohms?
Because some diodes when they get shorted they are Beep on my continuity check

Other diodes that are Partially shorted and reading a weird voltage forward biased and reversed biased , are partially shorted or leakage , but it's not a short because its not like a bare wire

Some shorted diodes are like a bare wire , this is a short

I'm talking about the partial shorted , from the junctions inside the diode are partially shorted

What is this called?

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
The resistance reading you get when measuring, "in circuit" is 1/(the sum of all conductance paths between those 2 points).
If you have a Golden Sample Good Working circuit , compared with 50 bad boards of the same circuit

If you measure the "in circuits resistance value" for every component , compared to the Golden sample good working circuit

Can this lead you to the problem or a short? can't this In circuit resistance give you information to lead to you the problem of a bad circuit?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. Comparing a known good board will give you useful information. The problem is that nobody publishes the "in circuit" values for their circuits and most people don't have a Golden Sample for everything they work on. However, you are free to make lists of these measurements for yourself to use.

and, a partial short is called a partial short.

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Yes. Comparing a known good board will give you useful information. The problem is that nobody publishes the "in circuit" values for their circuits and most people don't have a Golden Sample for everything they work on. However, you are free to make lists of these measurements for yourself to use
Can this lead me to a short circuit or an open circuit or a bad IC chip?

YokoTsuno

Joined Jan 1, 2013
If you measure the "in circuits resistance value" for every component , compared to the Golden sample good working circuit.
That's an interesting analysis. Never saw that coming :rolleyes:.
In the past people used signature analyzers (Like the HP5004) for fault finding which are based on the same school of thought. This only work for digital circuits though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can this lead me to a short circuit or an open circuit or a bad IC chip?
Yes, but it is like saying, "If I use a diving rod, a psychic, and a photograph, can I get the same results I would if I used a pencil, a paper, and a ruler?"

Yes, sometimes you can, but, if you are smart enough to use that method, you are surely smart enough to measure and calculate like us common people.

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013

Cause a short to ground can cause components to measure zero volts, but so can an open component cause components to measure zero volts

What other "References" can I use?

1.) Measuring reference to ground
2.) Measuring Across the component
3.)

All the components in the Bad Stage are all measuring Zero Volts , Measuring referenced to ground and also measuring across the each component

What else can I do to rule out its either a short or an open? cause it could be either a short or an open right?

Billy Mayo

Joined Mar 24, 2013
When I find an Open Resistor, 99% of the time it measure in the Meg ohms " In circuit " right? or reads OL overload on my DVM meter

What have u guys seen , when you found an open component or an open resistor?