Zener questions

YorksireDave

Joined Dec 9, 2010
I've come across some 30v zeners in my shed (don't ask!). I need some 6.8v and wondered if I could use the ones Ihave in any way? I was thinking could they be used in series/parallel or anything or do those rules not apply to diodes? :confused:

Also, I've come across some IN5148 diodes which through Googling I believe are Varactor diodes! Can someone enlighten as to what they are and what I might be able to use them for. :confused:

Thanks ;)

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
You would have to put a 30V-6.8V=23.2V potential across the zener; this can be done by either creating a negative voltage source (-23.2V) or by floating your system ground 23.3V above a reference, then using the reference directly for the zener.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A varactor is a diode whose capacitance varies with voltage when it is back biased. It is a variable capacitor in other words, popular with autotune features in radios (among other things).

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Not really worth anything. Do you know what power rating they are? DigiKey marks them up to 50c/ea for singles to ~2c/ea for 10k; 'suppose you could make $10.