Zener diode

bwd111

Joined Jul 24, 2013
What happens one the breakdown voltage has been reached does the current conducted through a zener diode? I was thinking current increases drastically

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
The maximum allowable current in amps = zener wattage/zener voltage.
For a 1 watt 12 volt zener the max current = 1w/12v ~ .083 amps.

Even though the rating is 1 watt, in real circuits you never run components at the max
wattage rating. My opinion is to be conservative, not more than about 1/4 rated wattage.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The maximum allowable current in amps = zener wattage/zener voltage.
For a 1 watt 12 volt zener the max current = 1w/12v ~ .083 amps.
OP, note that TubeGuy said, "Allowable", not "possible". Allowable means " the maximum cuerent that the designer should allow" and he/she should pick the right resistance to prevent higher currents from ever flowing through the Zener.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Zener diodes are connected in reverse bias for normal voltage regulation. When the voltage is below the rated voltage, the zener will not conduct. Anything above the rated voltage will be shunted to negative through the zener diode. However, a series resistor is required to limit current through the diode (almost the same as how an LED needs a current limiting resistor)

Attachments

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
What happens one the breakdown voltage has been reached does the current conducted through a zener diode? I was thinking current increases drastically
Some zener datasheets quote the "dynamic resistance" - AFAIK; you treat the zener voltage as an absolute voltage (theoretical ideal zener) the dynamic resistance determines the VI curve after subtracting Vz.