Your Zip Code Or Other Country Mail Id

Joined Nov 30, 2010
England has some strange method of attaching things like, "SW19" to an address, but I don't live in England so I don't know what those mean.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yes. canada, singapore, spain, philippines, and korea are some countries I've been to where I noted that there were postal codes. The philippines uses a postal code, plus they divide cities into smaller sections, called barangays, which are also part of the address. The addresses in korea are so convoluted that I hope you never need to send anything there; it surely will never reach it's destination.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In holland we have a "postcode" system.
The "postcode" consists of 4 numbers and 2 letters.
The adress is completed with the housenumber and the extention.
Inside a "postcode" there can be 24 houses.

Bertus

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The UK system makes sense once you get used to it. The code is something like M1 8XZ or BS8 9AB. The first letter (or two letters) represent an area (Manchester or Bristol in the above codes).
The number after that divides the area into smaller patches (1 will be in the centre and then higher numbers farther out). The second part of the code divides the patches into streets or parts of streets.
London needs so many codes that they use compass headings as the first part of the code.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Here in Australia each town with a post office there is a post code. Mine is 5576, the first number designates the state.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In Greece, there's a 5 digit number designated to every area of some thousand people or so. In my previous, rural home, the postal code was 352 00. I don't know if it breaks down to some meaningful blocks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Since UPS and FedEx, all of them do, even if they don't actually use it internally very often, other than census, etc.

There was somewhere you could get a "Postal Code" CD for like $50, but now it is free online with UPS, USPS and FedEx if you have the address and just want to look one up.

Databases hate Null fields, so everybody gets a postal code, whether they like it or not.