Your Cat or your PC, choose wisely.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I know. At work, where I am right now, we have compressed air, in small cans. This cans we use when we're cleaning keyboards. Do you have these cans in the Maldives?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I never had difficulty before u know, and it went away when I dusted the PC.

I can very well handle cats too.
Funny.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Guess what...!

The New board dies at the final moment. :(
A VRM shows a short to the CPU 12V line. like the last one.

I had no choice but to give the owner one of mobo I had.
And a PSU to go with it.

Here is the new, new one in place.

This board is not an AMD. It was using a Intel Core 2 Quad which is currently in My workstation.
I upgraded to DDR3 Mobo.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
lots of computers fail due to hair clogging fans and heatsinks, even the big air inlets.

Though I actually know of MORE people who have killed their computers by trying to clean them with a shop-vac. The air rushing into the opening of the plastic hose builds up a lot of static electricity, which then jumps to the nearest component.

If you are going to clean out your PC - USE COMPRESSED AIR

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are two ways. On is to use a shielded radioactive source to ionize the air. Industries use it, but I suspect authorities would get a bit hinky about individuals.

The second way is to use electricity (high voltage) to ionize air. I've never seen this done with an air hose, but with fans blowing over the station. Ionized air is conductive.

I cover this in my ESD article.

I would stick with the compressed air, and be dang sure all the fans can not spin when you do it. One casual spray of air can burn our a fan immediately, so tie them down well. I generally use toothpicks.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
As long as you unplug the fan, you should be able to blow it with compressed air with no problems. Just blow it dry with a hair dryer, or let it dry for a few minutes (or hours) before plugging it back in. Compressed air has water in it, and some systems have more than others.

Of course if you have an in line compressed air dryer, that helps.

I usually clean dusty, hair clogged components with a nylon brush first, then blow them off real good before plugging them back in.

Sometimes, I even soak them with Windex first, brush them, blow them off and dry them real good.

The pictures remind me of an AC evaporator coil I saw once that was loaded with pet hair.
The guy hadn't changed his filter; it finanlly collapsed, and everything went straight to the coils. That one wasn't salvagable.

Great cat video