Yamaha RX-V361 receiver damaged after overheating

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
sounds like its the speaker protection relays, or de-thump circuit, i would say its the two ic modules that are blown (long black chips bolted to heatsinks) with white compound on

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Disconnect the speaker cables at the receiver and try again. Make sure you don't have a short in your cable or speaker.

Also, there is a self-diagnosis procedure in the manual that DodgyDave posted (see his link) - it should be able to tell you why the protection mode activated.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Everything is disconnected from the receiver. I can't use the self-diagnosis as display doesn't turn on.
Yes, you can assume that is the case, or you can actually READ THE MANUAL!!! It tells you how to override the protection mode so you can keep the unit on and display the protection errors.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
See page22 to start in "cancel mode"

=============

Starting DIAG in the protection cancel mode
If the protection function works and causes hindrance to trouble diagnosis, cancel the protection function as described below, and it will be possible to enter the DIAG mode. (The protection functions other than the excess current detect function will be disabled.)
Press the “STANDBY/ON” key while simultaneously pressing those two keys indicated in the figure above. At this time, keep pressing those two keys for 3 sec- onds or longer.
In this mode, the [SLEEP] segment of the FL display of the main unit flashes to indicate that the mode is DIAG mode with the protection functions disabled.

==============

If this doesn't work, then you have an over current issue.

Last edited:

Managre

Joined Mar 11, 2014
I tried it and it doesn't work. I am sure it's an over current issue as display doesn't even turn on, it doesn't even flash for a second or something.

Managre

Joined Mar 11, 2014
Following your suggestion I checked some elements in the opening circuit. I found a problem:

Could this diode be a cause? Luckily I ordered a whole diode kit few months ago. Tomorrow I will solder find a replacement and solder it.