Yamaha P95 electric piano- no sound - I know NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS

Lilylowsky

Joined Feb 24, 2020
Hello :
I saw some older posts from people who had the same problem after storing their Yamaha p95’s. I stored mine in a shed for a few months and when I tried to play it got no sound either through internal speakers or headphone output. I was told by someone who previously repaired these instruments that they no longer do it; I have little faith in repair shops as I was told a previous Yamaha keyboard could not be repaired. I’m sure some of you would have known how to fix that! I Want to try to fix it myself but I know absolutely NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS! Are there any nice people on here willing to walk me through the steps?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The first thing you need to check is the power adapter.
The way to check if the adapter is good is to use it to power another appliance that uses a compatible adapter.
Make sure the adapters match. The PA-150 adapter is 12V 1.5A positive centre pin.

Where do you live?

Lilylowsky

Joined Feb 24, 2020
The first thing you need to check is the power adapter.
The way to check if the adapter is good is to use it to power another appliance that uses a compatible adapter.
Make sure the adapters match. The PA-150 adapter is 12V 1.5A positive centre pin.

Where do you live?
Does it matter at all that this is the same power adapter I was using when the sound was working? I’m in Western Massachusetts
Hello,there lilylowsky I am a nice person who's willing to walk you through the steps. Step one do you have the owner's manual.
thanks! Need to find a manual to download; will forward

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Does it matter at all that this is the same power adapter I was using when the sound was working?
Something stopped working. It could be the power adapter. That's easily verified by measuring the output with a DVM.

Does the main volume control also control headset volume?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
yes it does; the power light comes on so I assume the adapter works
You'll have better luck if you don't make assumptions. The power adapter could still fail in a way that gives insufficient voltage for correct operation. You can eliminate it as a potential problem by measuring it's output; unloaded, then under load. To measure under load, you'll need to open up the keyboard and measure power where it comes in from the plug.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
At this point you will need some test equipment.
I would suggest that you find someone who has experience fixing electronic equipment.