SUCCESS STORIES: Yamaha Keyboard P-95 sound problem (speakers & headphones)

squack

Joined Sep 11, 2022
I owe a debt of gratitude to the people in this thread.

For reference: replaced C116/C117, no luck. Then replaced C112/C408/C404 and it was fixed! Not sure exactly which one was the culprit as I didn't test/label them.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If there was a quality issue with some of the capacitors it may also be with the others just waiting to fail. So the replace all is cheap insurance. Stick a note inside reminding of the date and parts replaced. Handy for future problem service efforts.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did you read the last couple of posts?
This thread has been active for quite a while and the same solutions have worked for a lot of people. So the short answer is YES!!!
The cause of the problem is known and understood and the solution is clear and well defined.
What is required is to go back and read some of the posts that describe what was done to repair the failure.

I created an account to say thanks to people on here! I bought a Yamaha P-95B off of craigslist and the seller said it had just recently stopped working (between posting and me coming to look at it). The person selling was a millionaire so I believed them. The power turned on and everything seemed to work except for the sound. I took it for $40 and found solutions here. I borrowed a multimeter and found C217 shorted. I bought a replacement, soldering iron, solder, and replaced the capacitor; voila! I've never done anything like this and it was so easy thanks to people's comments here. Thanks again!

Hallo - ik vraag me af of ik de collectieve wijsheid van deze thread kan gebruiken om me met hetzelfde probleem te helpen. Ik heb een Yamaha P-95 die hetzelfde gedrag vertoont als die in deze thread: er is geen geluid in de koptelefoon of luidsprekers, er is stroom, ik hoor klikken bij het aansluiten/loskoppelen van de koptelefoon. Ik volg deze thread al een paar maanden af en aan, en mijn piano is in die tijd uit elkaar gehaald om problemen op te lossen. De vakanties gaven me eindelijk de tijd om erin weg te zinken. Ik kocht condensatoren en verving C216 en C217 op het AM-bord, maar helaas hielp dat niet. Ik heb geen kennis van condensatoren, maar voor zover ik kon zien, waren de originele en de nieuwe beide functioneel. Ik heb ze gedesoldeerd om te zien of enig geluid met hen helemaal uit het beeld zou werken (dat deed het niet). Nog andere ideeën om het probleem te isoleren? Ik heb het gevoel dat ik zo dichtbij moet zijn!
lk heb net een elko van 100 micro farad aan de Midi trap vervangen door de C409 denk ik maar bij type P85 en P95 zijn niet alle nummers indentiek, één goede raad test eerst alle elko's meestal zit daar de fout bij toestellen die lang niet meer bespeelt zijn.[/QUOTE]

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Dutch text translated to english:
I have just replaced an electrolytic capacitor of 100 micro farad on the Midi stage with the C409 I think but with type P85 and P95 not all numbers are identical, one good advice first tests all electrolytics, usually there is the error with devices that have not been played for a long time.
Hallo, welkom bij AAC!
This is an international web site and english only please.

metajemo

Joined Apr 4, 2023
This was the most exciting and encouraging forum I have read for years!
I bought my daughter an already old but hoping good P-95. It turned out one of the speakers does not work.
I will change the 5 capacitors that were referenced there and hope it would work as for most of the people here.
Thanks a lot to all the people that posted their experience, manuals and encouraging messages!

SamSea

Joined Jul 4, 2023
C112 was the problem in my case. While replacing I noticed one end didn't make contact with the PCB anymore, so I soldered a wire to bridge it (as I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread).

Thank you all for sharing, now let's play some funky music.

Florio

Joined Aug 7, 2023
I had the same issue P95. Replaced C217 and C216. After testing the old ones, I noticed that one of them was faulty.
Sound is back on!

Huge thanks to this thread!

meglovis

Joined Aug 9, 2023
Just wanted to say, I had this issue, tested the capacitors, I had continuity with c216, replaced it and now my piano works perfectly! It is a p-95, thank you to all who posted this solution!

tmho

Joined Dec 3, 2023
My P-95 also had no sound but power light on. After reading related post on this forum, I found C408 is shorted. After replacing it, then I got the sound.

Arionlead

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Hi guys, I know it's an old thread but I wanted to say thank you to everyone here.

As many here I had no sound but it still worked as a midi controller. I replaced C216 and C217 to no avail, then I replaced C112 and I now have sound !
For further details : the three capacitors were 16V 100uF. I found them in an old DVD player and many others in old laptops power supplies.

Thanks again

SUCCESS! I bought FIVE 100 microfarad 16V caps on Amazon (for about $5.00) and on the fourth and fifth replacement {not sure which} the SOUND returned. C216, C217, C112, C404 and C408 were replaced, in that order. I thank you all for the invaluable information and manual dpownloads! The keyboard is BACK! (for my wife). I play drums. Keys are behind my throne in our FL drum room. :) My 30 years in the semiconductor industry working on the multi-million dollar beasts seems to have paid off in retirement. Thank you all.
Drums and Yamaha Keys.jpg