Y transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I'm not sure if this transistor is two separate transformers

Or it's One transformer

But what kind of transformer has the primary side as a coil and the secondary coil is a Y to do phase angle voltage outputs X,Y,Z phase angle outputs?

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Are you asking,
-what a phase angle meter is used for?
- how a phase angle meter works?
- how to to use a phase angle meter as a transformer?
- something else

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
no , the schematic I drew , is this two separate transformers? or One transformer?

The Primary is what kind of coil?
The Secondary is what kind of coil?

Is this ONE transformer that has these two kinds of coils in one transformer package?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
no , the schematic I drew , is this two separate transformers? or One transformer?

The Primary is what kind of coil?
The Secondary is what kind of coil?

Is this ONE transformer that has these two kinds of coils in one transformer package?
Yes , it definately is.

The secondary appears to be a Y winding and the primary does not. As drawn, I can't tell if the winding is a helix with anti-clockwise rotations or non-anti clockwise windings. In either case, if the Y windings are, in fact, secondaries, then they must be one transformer because secondaries do not function well without a primary. I am trying to think where I may have come across a transformer with only secondaries and it made me think of a 120 to 12 to 12 to 120 volt isolation transformers where you have the secondaries of two identical transformers connected and the primaries if the second transformer is really the secondary winding but since it is revers, it is really the primary. If the whole thing were encapsulated, you would really have two sets of primaries and no visible (or usable) secondary. But that doesn't help answer your question at all.

In the end I completely agree with you, it is a Y.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is a transformer called when you have a secondary winding as a Y winding? but the primary is not ?
It depends. Is it for electrical power transformation. is it for sensing or is it for mechanical generation of electricity or, lastly, is it for electrical generation of mechanical power?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
It has a Knob variac pot

The pot changes the phase shift , phase degree

The primary coil is 26 VAC , the secondary is changing the phase angle

What kind of transformer is this called?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It has a Knob variac pot

The pot changes the phase shift , phase degree

The primary coil is 26 VAC , the secondary is changing the phase angle

What kind of transformer is this called?

Interesting details but you haven't answered my question above. Your answer will determine what your device is called.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Is it for electrical power transformation.
Yes I think so

It just changes 26 VAC in phase into 26 VAC phase degree/shift , depends on the variac dial

is it for sensing
NO

or is it for mechanical generation of electricity or, lastly, is it for electrical generation of mechanical power?
NO

It just changes an 26VAC input in phase voltage into a 26 VAC that can be between 0 degree to 360 degrees inphase or out of phase by the Y transformer coil

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If that is what it does, there must be some additional coils in the device that are missing from your drawing. Does it work the same way when loads are connected (not just tiny loads).

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
If that is what it does, there must be some additional coils in the device that are missing from your drawing.
No it's just those 2 coils

One primary and One secondary coil that is a Y coil , that has 3 outputs , X, Y, Z outputs , this is the phase shift outputs

Does it work the same way when loads are connected (not just tiny loads).
Yes it does work with a load

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
No that's not it

It's very low voltage 26 VAC, not for Power Electrical transformers

The primary is normal coil
The Secondary is a Y coil , that has 3 outputs , X, Y, Z
Their is a Variac Pot , to adjust the Phase angle of the secondary

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.