xr2206 questions

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have some questions about the xr2206 chip and it's use. Data sheet here; http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/XR2206V1.PDF

1. The first page says that it can adjust the out put duty cycle from "1% to 99%". But the closest thing to duty cycle on the pin outs is called "syma1(pin15) and syma2(pin16)", is symmetry the same as duty cycle?

2. All I want from this IC is the square wave, do I need to ground the sine and triangle wave out puts or leave them floating?

3. I want to make the frequency adjustable with a pot from 5Khz to 50Khz. Do I hook the pot between the R1(pin7) and R2(pin8) or how is this done?

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but this is a start. Thank you, cary

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

They talk about duty cycle if the wave is a square wave.
It is called symetry when the wave is a triangle or sinewave.
At a triangle wave it can be from a rising sawtooth via a real triangle to a lowering sawtooth signal.

Bertus

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The "Sync Out" is a 50% duty cycle square wave, and the symmetry of it is not adjustable. You can only adjust the symmetry of the sine/triangle wave outputs.

Consider using a 555 timer instead; it can easily do what you wish.

What kind of output voltage/current were you requiring?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The "Sync Out" is a 50% duty cycle square wave, and the symmetry of it is not adjustable. You can only adjust the symmetry of the sine/triangle wave outputs.

Consider using a 555 timer instead; it can easily do what you wish.

What kind of output voltage/current were you requiring?
Sgt-the voltage out - 12VDC, current out - 40uA, to drive a IR2110 mosfet gate driver.

I was going to use this circuit; http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_signal_generator2.htm
Then I saw the XR2206 and thought it might be better.

thanks ,cary

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I have some questions about the xr2206 chip and it's use.
1. The first page says that it can adjust the out put duty cycle from "1% to 99%". But the closest thing to duty cycle on the pin outs is called "syma1(pin15) and syma2(pin16)", is symmetry the same as duty cycle?
Yes, the symmetry and the duty cycle adjustments are the same for the triangle and sine-wave outputs.

2. All I want from this IC is the square wave, do I need to ground the sine and triangle wave out puts or leave them floating?
You never ever connect the output of an IC to ground. If you do then the very high current will blow up the output transistors. If you don't want the outputs then leave them floating.

3. I want to make the frequency adjustable with a pot from 5Khz to 50Khz. Do I hook the pot between the R1(pin7) and R2(pin8) or how is this done?
No.
Figure 5 and figure 11 show the output frequency adjustment.