XC8 compiling and setting problems

raychar

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Hello,

I installed xc8 and MPLAB v8.10 in E: driver of my computer, i included the following lines in my code, however, it don't work when build, with error:
License type: Node Configuration
(902) no chip name specified; use "PICC18 --CHIPINFO" to see available chip names

#include <pic18.h>
#include <xc.h>
#include <pic18f452.h>
xc8 --chip=18F452 main.c

Can anyone help me to tell what mistake i committed?

Thanks,

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Then working with MPLAB(X). It is VERY essential to create a project before starting programming. And if you do not do this. I will come and smack your fingers:p.
If you have created a project properly. The compiler will know which PIC you are using and hence you will only need to include the XC file
//#include <pic18.h>
#include <xc.h>
//#include <pic18f452.h>
//xc8 --chip=18F452 main.c

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I still have the old installation CD from my PICKIT2.

Used it once on a laptop later on- with my selfmade RS232 programmer. Just had to reflash a PCB with some minimal change in place.

raychar

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Hello,

Thanks, I suceed in doing so after installing MPLABX. It is a whole different environment, i need to learn more before using it..

>BTW, my ICD2 will no longer work with it. Which one I should buy; PICKit3 or ICD3?

>Does bootloader type MCU suit for my application? I want the code file can be programmed on MCU by my customers when they bought my devices. (that is, i only send code file and MPLABx software, without having ICD nor programmer, can they do that in bootloader type MCU?)

>Do both type of mentioned ICDs suit for this type MCUs debugging?

Thanks in advance,