xbox 360 macro controller using digipots

josh123

Joined Feb 5, 2013
Hi everyone, my names Josh and this is my first post. There is a football (soccer for Americans) game called fifa 13 on the xbox360 that you may of heard of, in this game you can do skills where you move the joysticks around and it does a skill. The problem is that the joysticks work by having 2 potentiometers to control this and as far as i know i cant control resistance with an arduino. I want to make a controller that has a standalone chip(maybe aTtiny85) to press various buttons and/or move the joystick to make the player do a skill. I came across 2 things, the first one is thebenheckshow where he does similar what i want to do but he only uses the buttons, not the analog joysticks. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbF-pZY12z4
The second thing is i was searching and found some digital potentiometers and was wondering if anyone knew how to use them with an aTmel chip:
http://uk.farnell.com/analog-devices/ad5228bujz50-r2/digipot-5bit-up-down-50k-smd-5228/dp/1078390

This is an xbox 360 joystick

So basically im saying can i use digipots instead of analog pots?

Thanks

Josh

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
So basically im saying can i use digipots instead of analog pots?
I'd say, Yes you can, if you power your circuit with a separated power supply.

If you use a voltage from the XBOX to power your circuit (5V etc) you need to know a little about how the analog pot is related to GND of the XBOX voltage. Look at table 4 of the datasheet you linked to. Va and Vb must be within power supply limits.

EDIT: Thinking again, even if using a separate PS, the reference would need to be tied together anyway, otherwise you could blow up the chip.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
As an alternative, the voltage from the pot is, most likely, read somewhere, if you were to use a DAC, you needn't require any pots....

josh123

Joined Feb 5, 2013
so could i use a voltage regulator or are you suggesting anything else or can i just use the microcontroller?

Thanks

Josh