Wrong notification message in XP Home

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
I’ve just got over a HD crash – lost the boot files. Booted from the CD to try a repair. I expected to get the system files replaced, but XP did a complete re-instal. It left my files intact but took out the drivers and I had to re-instal them.

All went well till it asked for the modem driver. I’m broadband so the modem is only there for an emergency call if the ADSL breaks down. I didn’t know where the disk was so I passed over the instal.

Now for the final reboot. All OK except I was notified that XP had sensed a modem and would I please provide the driver? Thought it easiest to remove the modem and reboot. Still the same message that it had found the modem – although none existed!

I carried on for several hours downloading SP2 and all the other upgrades and periodically being asked to re-boot. Each time the warning message came up and I couldn’t make it go away – although I ticked the box asking the system not to repeat it. Finally I managed to find the Ambit modem driver and installed it. The machine tested the modem and reported it to be working correctly.

Now I have a modem installed complete with its driver, but I cannot get rid of this annoying message telling me there is no driver, that comes on every time I boot up.

Can anyone help?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

It's a long shot, but, if the modem is a card, perhaps you can remove it and delete the device from the hardware manager (if it's on the mb, try disabling it in setup).

Reboot and see that the modem and the message have gone away. The reinstall it, and load the driver at the prompt.

Feel free to think bad thoughts about MS.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Hi beenthere,
I found 'Standard 56000 modem' in the Device Manager as you said - marked with a yellow exclamation mark.

Deleted it, and all is now well.
Many thanks.

alitex

Joined Mar 5, 2007
I’ve just got over a HD crash – lost the boot files. Booted from the CD to try a repair. I expected to get the system files replaced, but XP did a complete re-instal. It left my files intact but took out the drivers and I had to re-instal them.

All went well till it asked for the modem driver. I’m broadband so the modem is only there for an emergency call if the ADSL breaks down. I didn’t know where the disk was so I passed over the instal.

Now for the final reboot. All OK except I was notified that XP had sensed a modem and would I please provide the driver? Thought it easiest to remove the modem and reboot. Still the same message that it had found the modem – although none existed!

I carried on for several hours downloading SP2 and all the other upgrades and periodically being asked to re-boot. Each time the warning message came up and I couldn’t make it go away – although I ticked the box asking the system not to repeat it. Finally I managed to find the Ambit modem driver and installed it. The machine tested the modem and reported it to be working correctly.

Now I have a modem installed complete with its driver, but I cannot get rid of this annoying message telling me there is no driver, that comes on every time I boot up.

Can anyone help?
you have 2 way to know ur problem
the first one u should check modem card if it take its place correctly
the second one i think the problem in ur modem card