Writing C code for Auto Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_David

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Hello,
Short and sweet, this forum has helped me in the past and I appreciate those who have helped me.

Onto my next project, I am looking for advice, insight, resources for gaining info on how I could write C code, compile it to a vehicle module and view the data being sent and received.
Thank You,

-Scott

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I am looking for advice, insight, resources for gaining info on how I could write C code, compile it to a vehicle module and view the data being sent and received.
Sorry, Scott, but that's not in accordance with our Terms of Service; the relevant paragraph reads:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
So, if you wish to pursue your quest, you will have to do so somewhere else; as we can't help you with it.

Scott_David

Joined Jun 17, 2010
SgtWookie, thanks for the reply!

I should have clarified a bit more...I had an idea involving a generic computer module for a vehicle that will have blue tooth capability, CAN network, which will communicate with a phone.

I will not be modifying any vehicle manufacturer computer hardware or software for resale. I will only be using it for research and understanding how to transfer data to a control module. This is all research to know if my idea is possible, which it is. For instance, my first route will be much easier, faster, and less expensive than to design from scratch.

I found many websites for C Code programming info but not much on hardware to upload, download, link to new/fresh hardware. This is what I am searching for.

May I ask this also? What hardware is needed to upload written C code to a PICxxxxxx?

If I have the computer/C software and PICxxxxx but need to know how to physically send the data to the PIC.

Thank You.

Gump

Joined Jun 7, 2010
Hi Scott,

I'm by no means experienced at this sort of thing, but I strongly suggest you scrap your project, and find something far simpler. When you're asking questions such as
upload written C code to a PICxxxxxx
and in the same post talking about
generic computer module for a vehicle that will have blue tooth capability, CAN network, which will communicate with a phone.
you are really trying to achieve something which is possibly a few years experience out of your reach - and that's even if we exclude all the auto-electrical stuff.

It is irrelevant if you want to sell your project or not, from what I gather the discussion about auto-electronics isn't allowed (and rightly so IMHO) is due to safety reasons. Playing with cars etc. is all well and good for an experienced auto electrician, but its one of those things that if you have to ask how to get stated, then you should be running in the opposite direction back to getting LEDs flashing. As SgtWookie said, you won't be getting any of this sort of help here; and yes you could get it elsewhere, but bear in mind if a number of extremely clever and talented people on these boards wouldn't touch it, then with respect I suggest you take a leaf out of their book as it is for a good reason.

Scott_David

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for the input Gump...

I have programmers on the side for the other module that will be communicating with the generic module. The programmer just need to know how to be able to talk with other modules, such as my hypothetical "generic module".

Electronics are a whole universe in itself. I agree with stepping back to bare basics but I am not going to be doing the work. I am researching and asking if this is possible. I am asking how to take data and upload it to the new/used hardware. Vehicles do not have to be related in anyway.

For the record I am ASE certified with Master status, went to trade school at Universal Tech Inst, and had Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin training at the Factory so I am very savvy with auto electronics. When it comes to the circuit boards and the s/w programming thats where I know little. I am one of many people in the project, however, I am the one who came up with the grand idea and know it will happen. :)

Now, where can one purchase that type of hardware? The software is C, C++ and there must be hardware out there somewhere right?

Thank You!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Because this is a hypothetical it is still open. Qualifications do not matter though, the subject is still not allowed in practice.

Gump

Joined Jun 7, 2010
Well, now a moderator has commented...

I am researching and asking if this is possible.
To be honest, you haven't really made it too clear what this is, without getting wrapped up with vague terms like generic computer modules. Bear in mind if you plan in interfacing with the auto electronics in any way (I imagine this would include reading the vehicle bus), then it would probably change the entire landscape of your question. The answers you get will assume it isn't for a car etc. The components and hardware recommended to you will again assume it isn't for a car.

Now, where can one purchase that type of hardware?
You need a programmer, perhaps one listed here. The exact one you need depends on the family of the microcontroller you are programming, if you are wanting a demo board and what onboard chips, etc.

The software is C, C++
A microcontroller is programmed in its own assembly language, if you want to write code in a higher level language such as Basic or C (I don't know of any half decent C++ compilers) then you will need a C compiler that targets your PIC family; I believe one comes with the MPLab (That's Microchips IDE).

You'll find that Microchip on their homepage here has many application areas which help you with things you have mentioned, CAN, bluetooth etc. and in certain cases have PIC families with dedicated hardware already in the chip.

Yako

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Trade secrets mostly. These protocols usually have to be figured out all by the engineer from scratch.

How much you wanna pay? We've gotta eat too!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I just reread your post. If you are going to be doing this in a physical sort of way you really will need to go elsewhere with this project. Our TOS is very clear on the subject.

Scott_David

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Thank You Gump, you have helped a lot.

Bill Marsden, thank you.

My hardware can work separate from any vehicle it is in, this is my goal, to be a universal product. Think of it as a Garmin, or TomTom Navi.

No further responses are needed. I will move on...
Thanks for keeping it open. Good luck everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.