would like info on transmitters

unclejed911

Joined May 9, 2012
I am trying to find out if there is any way to prevent someone else from using the same transmitter signal and or frequency to open your garage door. if not, is there any other way to have an automatic opener that nobody can manipulate to open? Cost is not an option.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Garage door openers send out a digital code that has to match the receiver.
One way is to modify the transmitter and receiver codes in order to change the format or to add more bits. This way your protocol will be different from all others in commercial use.

Another way is to add a second transmitter/receiver that is different from the garage door system. The two systems must be energized before the door is allowed to open.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The security offered by all garage door openers (as MrChips detailed) is more than sufficient for todays needs.

If a thief wants to get in they will get in one way or another.

You could spend a million dollars on a face detection/fingerprint scanning/blood sampling/optical nerve recognition garage door opener and the thief will just break a window or just break the door down and be off with your fancy BMW.

and cost is ALWAYS an issue.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Most newer garage door openers use a system called "rolling code". A Google search will help explain it better than I can.

unclejed911

Joined May 9, 2012
The security offered by all garage door openers (as MrChips detailed) is more than sufficient for todays needs.

If a thief wants to get in they will get in one way or another.

You could spend a million dollars on a face detection/fingerprint scanning/blood sampling/optical nerve recognition garage door opener and the thief will just break a window or just break the door down and be off with your fancy BMW.

and cost is ALWAYS an issue.
Theft of property is not my goal, theft of the ability to use a pirated device to open the door is. Do you have an idea how I can possibly prevent this? Thanks for your time.

unclejed911

Joined May 9, 2012
Garage door openers send out a digital code that has to match the receiver.
One way is to modify the transmitter and receiver codes in order to change the format or to add more bits. This way your protocol will be different from all others in commercial use.

Another way is to add a second transmitter/receiver that is different from the garage door system. The two systems must be energized before the door is allowed to open.
Thank You.
Now I have a few other questions if you could so graciously answer.My goal is to achieve my own signal somewhat similar to satellite TV that can be used to operate a device. I would like the public to pay for the use of the signal and not have to worry about pirating to use the signal to operate the device. Can you help me?.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Theft of property is not my goal, theft of the ability to use a pirated device to open the door is. Do you have an idea how I can possibly prevent this? Thanks for your time.
The rolling code systems I mentioned require that the transmitter and receiver be "married" during installation. That usually requires that a button be pressed on the receiver while the transmitter is transmitting in close proximity. There are other units (Homelink is one) that use the ability to clone a transmitter. Even after the transmitter is cloned, it is required to teach the receiver to accept the new transmitter. Some newer systems also have the ability to use smart phone technology (internet) to open or close the door from any location with internet access.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My goal is to achieve my own signal somewhat similar to satellite TV ...
How is it similar? Do you want to use a satellite signal?
...that can be used to operate a device.
What do you mean by "operate"? Turn on and off, like a garage door?
I would like the public to pay for the use of the signal...
Do you mean pay to decode? You can't charge anybody for "listening" to a signal. What does the customer get for their money?
... and not have to worry about pirating to use the signal to operate the device.
Not worry about what? Being caught for pirating? Somebody else pirating their signal, or taking control of their "device"?
A long way of repeating MrChips' request for more info.