Workstation too hot

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
Greetings,

Today I am facing an issue that the weather is a little hot and dry and I noticed that my workstation CPU fan is spinning at ~5000RPM.

My workstating are not showing any problems beside the noisy fan. But, I am a little concerned about this problem and I took this screenshot showing how the internal temperatures are behaving in my case.

Are my temperatures too hot to be safe to use the workstation?

Thanks,
FBorges22

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you check if there is dust in the fan and the heatsink of the CPU?
Dust can block the airflow and have the temperature rising.
Also look for the spots where fresh air can enter the case and leave the heat.

Bertus

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
Hello, I just checked for dust and other types of air obstruction and I found none of these. Do you think that these temperatures are too high?

Thanks,
FBorges22

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the motherboard manual, there should be a section about enviromental conditions.
Please take a look to see if you are on the safe side.

Also placing an extra case fan will help to increase the airflow.

Bertus

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
I checked the manual and it did not show the temperature limits. The fact that machine isnt restarting, hanging I belive that the temperature limits has not been reached yet.

I also heard from my reseller that the limit maybe something next to 75C

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you look for the brand and type of the used motherboard?
Also the used CPU is in concern with the temperature.

Bertus

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
I am using the default AMD fan that was supplied with the processor.

EDIT: As the night comes, the air temperature dropped in my room and the temperature in CPU dropped and the noise in the cooler has reduced a lot. I think the problem may be solved..

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Those temps all look good to me.

I don't worry until anything hits about 140 °F, which is still "safe", 180 F is the danger line.

I have extra fans on the hard drives to keep them below 100 degrees, since heat is what makes them die early. Well, heat is what makes most all electronics die early, but the oil in the sintered bearings of the drive goes dry faster at higher temps.

You shouldn't be concerned, unless your room temp was 40 degrees or something. (mines around 70). Download speedfan, it's a free program that will warn you when anything is too hot, and you can set the alert temp.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The temperatures seem textbook to me. Where you live I would expect much more. I wouldn't worry until my cores and HDD hit 45oC.

FBorges22

Joined Sep 11, 2008
One interesting thing I noticed is that the Seagate´s harddisks tends to get more hot than Sansung´s hardisks...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Most everything has been covered, including the desirability of extra cooling.

There is one thing you need to be aware of always, if you blow air (either shop or canned) through a heatsink there is a very good chance it will burn out. A high speed moving fan (moved by air) will generate voltage and burn out the fans electronics.

If you decide to blow out heatsinks with a fan find some way to prevent the blades from spinning.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I use the amd+asus cpu. Their must be some utility in your motherboard cd called 'Asus FanX' or 'EPU'. Just install it. It automatically regulates fan speed depending upon the cpu usage.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I found better quality of Intel than AMD either its performance or sound..
I disagree! Intel has a legacy in the field of processor manufacturing no doubt(how can you doubt 'Gordon Moore' & Robert Noyce'). But if you set one price point and if you compare processors available around that point, you'll find AMD is a price competent than intel. It offers better clock speeds & features than intel.