Workshop winch fault

Johnnqld

Joined Jul 30, 2012
Hi all I am a new member, not very well conversed in your world of circuits.
I have a problem with my electric winch.
I can hear the magnet take the brake off, but I have to spin the motor by hand to start it. It is the same in forwood and reverse.
Can anyone help.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I found your thread in the "feedback and suggestions" forum.
That forum is NOT for question, so I moved it here.

I am not to familiar with motors, but it sounds like a defective starter capacitor.

Bertus

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Welcome to AAC !!!

I'm guessing your winch is 12 v battery operated off your vehicle ?? if so, the brushes are likely making poor contact with armature commutator, due to being worn down, or normal accumulation of dust,.

Hope your problem doesn't go as deep as a scorched commutator, you may be looking for a new winch

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
First order of business, would be to check the capacitor start and run. In the meantime, can you post any pictures ?
specifically the motor nameplate, and inside the wiring box ?

Does anything -- connections / wiring look burnt, or smell of charring / ozone, are any connections loose ?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Sorry, I'm slow --- :D how much use does it see, weight does it have lift, and in what environment. It could be a failure of the start switch in the motor. though lets not get ahead of things and take too much apart.

gotta go out awhile......will check back later............

Johnnqld

Joined Jul 30, 2012
It is a PA600A cable hoist. 240 volt
I have drawn as close as possible the wiring in my attachment.
Thank you for your help.
John

Attachments

Johnnqld

Joined Jul 30, 2012
I wish I had seen your post Strantor before I drove 128 klm to Townsville to find out it was a faulty switch.
I thank you all for your help.
John