working with surface mount components

optionfa

Joined Nov 2, 2009
Hey all,

I am building a circuit that requires the following IC. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IR21362SPBFCT-ND

The problem is I am in the development stage and I need to do some breadboard testing, now this IC is only available in surface mount configuration.

I would like to hook it up and test it.. I don't want to solder wires to the pins as I am worried about damaging the internals. Are there any sockets available for these 28pin DIP surface mount chips? Everything I have found is for through hole components.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I suggest that you use one IC for the prototype, and another for the finished part, particularly if you're going to reflow the PCB in an oven.

Odd as it may sound, SMT parts will absorb moisture once the package has been opened. If you try to reflow them in an oven after they've been sitting around for a while, you might blow the lids off of them.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
in troubleshooting, or designing circuits of the SMT variety, your going to be soldering on leads for test purposes. I will glue the device to a teflon surface and tack leads on to run to a perf board. Remember that even with the most care, your first pcb will possibly have errors. With that in mind, I usually fab design circuits in sections, etch and mount the boards, then hardwire them together. I find this approach great for hammering out those last unseen obsticles, before cutting the final boards.