Working principle of circuit

prescott2006

Joined Nov 8, 2008
i would like ask some questions about the circuit.this circuit is taken from thegimmick guitar tuner project.

1.what is the functions of each of the capacitor C1,C5.C6,C8 and the one in E3?below is my guessing:
C1:to filter out the dc component from the signal source.
C5&C6:to make sure the oscillator start up correctly.but what is the theory behind that?
C8 and the one inside E3:i don't know...

2.i know E2 is a multiple feedback filter,but why it uses this topology instead of others?

3.is the function of the potential divider below E1 is to provide a reference voltage to E1?then why it also connected to pin 5 of tl072 in E2?

4.the bridge rectifier at the bottom is b80c800,but i can't find this component.can i replace it with four 1n4007 diodes?

5.can somebody explain the working principle of the comparator?and why it is connected like that?(how to determine the resistor value and the resistor capacitor configuration as well.)

thanks in advance.:)

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
i would like ask some questions about the circuit.this circuit is taken from thegimmick guitar tuner project.

1.what is the functions of each of the capacitor C1,C5.C6,C8 and the one in E3?below is my guessing:
C1:to filter out the dc component from the signal source.
I agree with this assessment.
C5&C6:to make sure the oscillator start up correctly.but what is the theory behind that?
You are correct. The caps load the crystal so that it gets a kick on power up to get it started.
C8 and the one inside E3:i don't know...
C8 is used to filter the V/2 reference provided by R2 and R3. The reference is needed because the opamp is being powered by a single supply
2.i know E2 is a multiple feedback filter,but why it uses this topology instead of others?
The choice of this active filter topology is at the designer's discretion. Many factors would have been involved. One influence would would be the designer's familiarity with the topology.
3.is the function of the potential divider below E1 is to provide a reference voltage to E1?then why it also connected to pin 5 of tl072 in E2?
The divider is there to provide the reference for the opamp. The opamp is being operated as an inverting amp so the negative terminal requires a reference.
4.the bridge rectifier at the bottom is b80c800,but i can't find this component.can i replace it with four 1n4007 diodes?
I suspect the bridge is provided to safegaurd against accidental reversal of the input voltage. Feel free to use four discrete 1n4007 diodes in its place.
5.can somebody explain the working principle of the comparator?and why it is connected like that?(how to determine the resistor value and the resistor capacitor configuration as well.)
One input to the comparator is seeing the signal and the other is seeing the signal delayed by the integrator. This is probably being done to prevent the output of the comparator from oscillating at the transitions of the input signal.
thanks in advance.:)

Last edited:

prescott2006

Joined Nov 8, 2008
C8 is used to filter the V/2 reference provided by R2 and R3. The reference is needed because the opamp is being powered by a single supply.
what does the capacitor filter?is it used to filter dc component?but if in that case we won't get V/2 anymore.i am pretty confused.kind to explain?:)

The divider is there to provide the reference for the opamp. The opamp is being operated as an inverting amp so the negative terminal requires a reference.
but why the voltage divider connected to the active filter at the same time?don't pin 5 should be grounded?

This is probably being done to prevent the output of the comparator from oscillating at the transitions of the input signal.
not very understand with this statement,can elaborate more?:p

another question,if i want to simulate the guitar signal by using signal generator,what voltage amplitude and frequency should be used?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
what does the capacitor filter?is it used to filter dc component?but if in that case we won't get V/2 anymore.i am pretty confused.kind to explain?:)
The capacitor insures that the voltage at the junction of R2 and R3 will appear to be a low impedance to disturbances and therefore act as a stable DC reference voltage.
but why the voltage divider connected to the active filter at the same time?don't pin 5 should be grounded?
The input is connect to ground when the opamp is powered from a dual supply. For example, +5V and -5V. This opamp is being powered by 5v and ground so an artificial reference needs to be used. This artificial reference typically chosen to be at the voltage V/2. This gives the output of the opamp freedom to swing equally above and below the reference voltage.
not very understand with this statement,can elaborate more?:p
Basically what is happening is that the input signal to the comparator is being compared to the delayed version of the input signal.
another question,if i want to simulate the guitar signal by using signal generator,what voltage amplitude and frequency should be used?
I would think any frequency in the low end of the audio range would be appropriate.

hgmjr

prescott2006

Joined Nov 8, 2008
concise and straight-to-the-point explanation.thanks very much.:)

off from the topic,what is the 'must-read' book to learn electronic.i don't want to dive to theory so much,what i want is practically useful.after googling,many people suggest that the art of electronic, make:electronic, getting started in electronic, what else do you recommend beside aac book? i would like to learn pic as well, but i am a totally beginner, so which book is recommended? i need a textbook instead of microchip tutorial and datasheet.:)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Basically what is happening is that the input signal to the comparator is being compared to the delayed version of the input signal.
hgmjr
I think if you calculate the -3dB frequency of R7 and C10 (1Hz), you will find that the filter is there to extract the DC component of the signal as a reference. The input signal is compared with that DC level. It's basically another way of AC coupling. The designer could have used the Vcc/2 reference instead of the low pass filter, but the hysteresis resistor R9 would have coupled a tiny bit of the comparator output back the the Vcc/2 reference.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I see your point ron h. It does seem that what you are saying makes sense. Such a scheme would mean that following long periods of input signal absense, it would take approximately 0.693 (natural log of 0.5) time constants or about 700 milliseconds to re-establish the comparator's reference voltage.

hgmjr

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I see your point ron h. It does seem that what you are saying makes sense. Such a scheme would mean that following long periods of input signal absense, it would take approximately 0.693 (natural log of 0.5) time constants or about 700 milliseconds to re-establish the comparator's reference voltage.

hgmjr
No, I believe the DC voltage at the top of C10 will always be Vcc/2, due to the fact that the voltage divider R2/R3 biases the inputs of IC2A and IC2B. The input signal is AC coupled through C1.

prescott2006

Joined Nov 8, 2008
i got one newbie question.how to connect electret mic to my circuit above?what value should i use for the resister and capacitor?i found the circuit in text file on web.
so basically i just connect the 'audio out' to 'guitar in' in my circuit?

Attachments

Last edited: