workbench height

DGElder

Joined Apr 3, 2016
I am also going to build a bench, so I have been writing down ideas for the ultimate bench.
Emphasis on building in things that will be needed regularly, i.e. located to avoid instrument and cable clutter and enhance convenience.
My electronics bench will be in a small room that will also be used for some woodworking and other projects.

Just ideas:

Bench SawDust Cover: rolltop?
Equip Cab with Doors and filtered ventilation, i.e. positive pressure.

Outlets:
Isolated AC-variable, GFCI - orange or red
AC Mains 120V GFCI - white
Ground Isolated mains - Green ( wired with 12AWG or fused for 10A. excess grnd float protection)
12V DC/banana
5V DC USB Female, banana
BNC 10 MHz rubidium GPSDO clock sine wave
Ethernet Port
GPIB in/out
RS232 in/out
USB hub and in/outlets
Audio Input Jacks: 50 ohm, 100K ohm.
Speaker 1W 16 ohms.
Built in 1W 16 ohm Speaker/s for instrument level audio: Impedance matching, attenuator, amplifier if neccessary.

Power Switch
Fuse Box

Magnifier
Lighting:
Under shelf
Swing
Gooseneck LED

Equip Shelf:
2 O-scopes
1 Prog Supply
1 DC Supply
1 Arb Funct Gen
2 Bench Multimeters
1 Electronic load
1 TBD

Keyboard platform
Display/s?

Footrest
Three sides lipped
Front side with catch tray
Solder station higher bench height
DUT station lower bench height

Solder Station"
Solder spools
Tools
Iron
Ir detector switch for blower
low flow vaccum port
Desolder gun holder

Fume Extraction piping
Venting piping
Articulating Vaccum Arm
Blower/Filter: pre,hepa,charcoal
Optional exhaust port to outside
Optional Intake port
Shelf under bench
Cabinet for vaccum arm.
Shelves and cabinets for assundries
Cubbies for assundries

Grounded metal tab for grounding strap

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I just get angry with myself for working so near the edge that things fall on the floor.:mad: Besides, dropping a surface mount resistor on the floor is like dropping a potato chip in front of the dog. It will never be seen again.:D
I prefer tile or linoleum flooring for that reason, That and given a good title or linoleum floor has a pretty high electrical insulation value (assuming it's covering a conductive subfloor material like concrete) making the concept of using an isolated power source largely unnecessary. Especially so if the device and its related circuits under test have a moderately high power draw.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I hope that's what your work bench looks like when it clean because if that's considered a messy workbench you are mismanaging your resources terribly.

I can see a good 25% or better of your worktop space. That's unacceptable and should be filled immediately. :oops:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I hope that's what your work bench looks like when it clean because if that's considered a messy workbench you are mismanaging your resources terribly.

I can see a good 25% or better of your worktop space. That's unacceptable and should be filled immediately. :oops:
90% of the stuff is mine and that is after a good cleaning. :)