Word for when two chemicals are mixed together to form a chemical reaction?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Synthesize?
Nope.

I think this might be fruitless. ;) I'm going to check the links that Bertus and MrChps posted and maybe it will spark something.

I sure hat when that happens when you can't think of a word that you don't use often. ;) I have had a problem with that for some time.

I know that I might not be allowed another guess, but I guess, "volatile".

BTW: "The bleach decomposes to formhydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes. ... Mixing chlorine bleach and ammonia is very bad as they react exothermically to form many toxic liquids and fumes." [from some google response]

Those have already been guessed and I would not, necessarily, use "volatile" for the above.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
No. This is not Chemistry class or English class, it is "guess the word" class - it was an elective that you might have missed.

The TS said...

It is the second sentence. He used the word "reaction" in the question. If that were the word, it would be like asking "What is that word, reaction, I can't remember the word reaction, can anyone tell me the word reaction?

The accuracy of the expression that he is using to try to prime the memory is distinctly not the point. It is as though I were to say, as my answer, "It's not that you are getting old, it is that you are old".

You could have asked to use a lifeline.
I approached it from the standpoint of someone who had overlooked the obvious. That is, one who didn't see the forest for the trees. What the TS described is a version of what the word, "reaction" means. Whether he recognized that at the time is irrelevant.

You have yet to give an answer? Do you have one? Is there another, better answer? Is this another example of the TS just spinning his wheels?

Edit: Just saw your answer, "volatile." That is wrong on many levels. It certainly does not apply to any type of reaction nor require that two reactants be mixed.

I approached it from the standpoint of someone who had overlooked the obvious. That is, one who didn't see the forest for the trees. What the TS described is a version of what the word, "reaction" means. Whether he recognized that at the time is irrelevant.

You have yet to give an answer? Do you have one? Is there another, better answer? Is this another example of the TS just spinning his wheels?

Edit: Just saw your answer, "volatile." That is wrong on many levels. It certainly does not apply to any type of reaction nor require that two reactants be mixed.
I gave TWO answers with "volatile" being the second. Again, you [in my opinion] do not understand the the fundamental process of this "word guessing" game, even after it was explained. If it is the word that he was trying to recall, then it is the correct answer. If it is not, it is wrong on only the level of it not being the word he was trying to recall.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Noxious, gas-forming, explosive. Combustible. Maybe go read a few MSDS sheets for keywords, or hit a thesaurus.

When "the" word hits you, I predict you'll feel let down and possibly feel stupid about how you tried to describe it. I speak from experience

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I gave TWO answers with "volatile" being the second. Again, you [in my opinion] do not understand the the fundamental process of this "word guessing" game, even after it was explained. If it is the word that he was trying to recall, then it is the correct answer. If it is not, it is wrong on only the level of it not being the word he was trying to recall.
My reponse was to your critical post.

You have proposed "redox" as well. That is also wrong and applies to a limited number of reaction types, not a general case as described by the TS.

"Gemish" is used in chemistry to refer to a reaction mixture. Maybe that will satisfy the TS.

My reponse was to your critical post.

You have proposed "redox" as well. That is also wrong and applies to a limited number of reaction types, not a general case as described by the TS.
OMG You will never admit to seeing the obvious. My response was to your critical post. You were not guessing the word, you were correcting all those who did not agree that the correct word had already been revealed by a previous poster. You have a mighty defense, because a corrector does not like to be corrected.

I approached it from the standpoint of someone who had overlooked the obvious
So, it follows that you thought that the TS has such a severe cognitive deficit that he can not recognize the word he is trying to recall, even as he is typing that very word. That is a very different dysfunction than the common word retrieval difficulty that we all experience and which the frequency of experience shows some increase with aging. It is simply not credible that you ever thought that.

Stop trying to show me that your Gilbert Chemistry Set is bigger than my Gilbert Chemistry Set. Mine is two feet long with the bucket of b____ option.

It's word guessing - maybe it is gemish and you will have won the prize. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you'd only told us it was a marketing term, we'd have gotten it in one! :rolleyes:

I assume you mean ALSO? I did say it was a word used commonly but since I could not remember at all of what it was, I could not remember where it was used. ;)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is the definition from : https://study.com/academy/lesson/in...xtures-additive-synergistic-antagonistic.html

Synergistic effects are when the sum of the effects is more than each chemical individually. This can create dangerous situations because each chemical is designed to work well on its own.

This would be like pairing two really strong superheroes - individually they are both strong, and if combined, their powers are overwhelming.

For example, alcohol and acetaminophen are a dangerous combination for your body. This is because both are processed in your liver, and each puts a lot of strain on this small but powerful organ. If you put both drugs into your body at the same time, it can overwhelm the liver, sending it into failure.

Bertus

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Acetominophen would never get approved today. The toxic dose is very little more than the therapeutic dose. Nasty stuff.

Some sweeteners are synergistic, because they work in different ways. If you use them together, you can use far less. The FDA stupidly prevented using multiple alternative sweeteners for decades, forcing higher consumption and worsening all the nasty off tastes and side effects.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
I am getting old. I am trying to think of the word for when two chemicals are mixed together to form a chemical reaction. Not exothermic, not endothermic or even thermal (term is more general), not binary chemicals. For some reason I think the word is common in everyday English thought it might be a form of the word.

Anyone know what the hell I am talking about?
1. Isothermic?
2. Equilibrium?

Last edited: