Wonky Tv

walkup

Joined Mar 26, 2014
Hi
I've just recently joined 'All About Circuits' and I'd like to put a question to 'YOU' about a large flat-screen TV ( Model; (Sony KDF E50 A11E that my sister gave me. She said it went faulty and I asked her to describe what happened. This is what she told me. 'It comes on for about 10 mins then goes off'. That's it. Then I checked to see if that's what was actually happening; and basically that's what happens. Of course I looked for other symptoms beyond 'coming on & going off'. This is what I found. Remember, I've 'No Signal' source for the TV as it's stored in a shed at the foot of the garden.
1. On activating the Stand-by button I noticed a little Green LED PULSING on the front-panel then several seconds later it becomes a STEADY Green LED.
2. In the top right-hand corner of the screen Channel No 40 appears
3. Trying to change the channel number via the remote-control failed despite several attempts to do so.
4. The same outcome occurred via the front-panel, programme buttons.
5.Nevertheless, the TV remained ON for about 10 minutes then went OFF.
6. I let 'things' cool down for a while then when back and tried again. This time the symptoms were : Front panel Green LED comes on then changes to a pulsing RED then back to GREEN again. It cycles from one Steady Green to two pulsing REDS repeatedly.

Anyone had experience this kind of fault in this particular model of TV?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
A couple of months ago, My Samsung did the same thing.

Tried running a big fan behind it, helped for a short period, then kept shutting down, only stayed on for 20 seconds, at the last.

So, I called Sears where we bought it, a serviceman comes out, diagnoses that it's a bad board, (Took him about 15 minutes), and it will cost more than $1,000.00 to repair it.:eek:

So, I bought a new Smart, Samsung 60"; from New Egg.

This new guy does everything, except wipe your bum.:cool:

Related question--=-what is the hand held diagnostic thingy, he used to tell me it's not worth fixing?:confused:

Looked similar to a remote control?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The service manual for that Sony might disclose what the blinking LED is telling you. Often you have to count the number of blinks and look up the code.

Long story short, you might be better off to quit now and save your time. Check your local craigslist - it's amazing how many TVs are being given away free. I'm not saying those are viable replacements, just that a used TV with a problem is not worth much.

walkup

Joined Mar 26, 2014
Thanks to Metalmann & Wayneh. I accept that Sony's LED blinking code might shed some light on the problem but I don't have a service manual.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Sometimes you can find them online. It can be hit and miss.

Also, if the problem is truly heat related, you can buy cooling spray. You try cooling different spots to see which fixes the problem. Also hit and miss.

walkup

Joined Mar 26, 2014
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I agree it might be all of those things you mention. Anyhow I'd like to update you on where I'm at with the 'monster'. This morning I decided to take the back-cover off. Well! what a job that was; screws everywhere. And when I eventually got inside there were more screws. So if you have to service one of these count a good hour and a half just taking this item off and replacing it again; It certainly not for the faint-hearted. And to gain access to the power unit there are further screws, plastic retaining 'lugs' and looms to contend with. Anyhow I'd a look at the PSU section with the intention of re-soldering the legs of power devices in that area, a little later. I've seen those, 3-legged I.C regulators trigger the stand-by LED to pulse in old analogue TV's because there were dry joint on it. It's a shot in the dark, I know, but the TV hasn't cost me anything so I'll give 'that' a go for a start. And your own suggestions I'll try and follow up in due course. Thanks in the meantime.

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
More than likely its a bad inverter board and you can typically buy new ones from $30. I repaired a friend 60" Samsung that would come on for a few minutes then shut off. He bought the TV from a friend for $200 and we repaired it for $30. WIN!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrChips Feedback and Suggestions 4
T General Electronics Chat 8