witricity

way2afroz

Joined Dec 23, 2008
hi all can any body have an idea about wirless electricity i have an idea i can explain for midrange electricity can anybody guid for large induction motor thanks in advance

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny you should show high tension lines. I've heard stories about farmers making coils to tap off these lines going near their barns to power lights. It is illegal of course, theft of service. In the case of high tension lines you have a intense electric field that can be tapped into. There is still a lot of debate whether it is healthy to be exposed to something this intense.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you are powering a large (1 KW or more) induction motor with "wireless" electricity, please make sure that I am nowhere near!

Try Googling "Nikola Tesla" and "Wireless power" together.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
hi all can any body have an idea about wirless electricity i have an idea i can explain for midrange electricity can anybody guid for large induction motor thanks in advance
:rolleyes: Wireless Electricity (Tesla coil method) works at very high voltages and frequencies...... induction motors cannot run normally at such high frequencies (forget high voltages).

Inductive reactance of motor will be very high under these conditions!

anurag602

Joined Jan 17, 2009
@way2afroz

u said you know how to work it at midrange electricity. cud u plz elaborate on your setup and its dimensions also how did u obtain the higher frequency (of the order of 10Mhz). i plan to work on witricity as my project and with my virtually background im stuck on the part of obtaining 10Mhz signal which can give sufficient current to light a 60w bulb.im trying to achieve this by using colpitts oscillator.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
@way2afroz

u said you know how to work it at midrange electricity. cud u plz elaborate on your setup and its dimensions also how did u obtain the higher frequency (of the order of 10Mhz). i plan to work on witricity as my project and with my virtually background im stuck on the part of obtaining 10Mhz signal which can give sufficient current to light a 60w bulb.im trying to achieve this by using colpitts oscillator.
you can go in for high frequency inverters like the ones used in emergency lighting or energy saver CFLs....... it will be much lighter on the walet to buy the same from a 2nd hand market! ;)

anurag602

Joined Jan 17, 2009
sum1 suggested me that colpitts oscillator cud be a solution....i tried making it but due to excessive current my inductors got burnt...can u suggest sumthing to make this colpitts oscillator work?

i need a frequency of around 10 MHz...u think i might get from these high frequency inverters? do energy saver CFLs hav these circuit in them,coz then ill get a CFL and break it down to that circuit.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
i tried making it but due to excessive current my inductors got burnt
i need a frequency of around 10 MHz...u think i might get from these high frequency inverters? do energy saver CFLs hav these circuit in them,coz then ill get a CFL and break it down to that circuit.
:cool: Thats the reason i suggested u go in for ready made ckts from 2nd hand markets.

i am not sure whether emergency lights or CFLs work at such high frequencies (10MHz)..... they might be running at much lower Hz, but you could give it a go!

P.S. but why 10 MHz only?...... why not lower or other range of frequencies?..... just curious!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Take care with Tesla coils, THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS:

Tesla Coils are very Dangerous! You should NOT build or operate one without being aware of the risks.

Electrocution

Mains voltages, 110V or 240V can kill you! Everyday household appliances are built with protection, fuses and earth wires. The control systems for your coil must also be designed and built with fuses and earthing - all exposed metal MUST be earthed and a correctly rated fuse MUST be fitted.
High Voltages present in the NST, tank capacitor, spark gap and primary coil can kill you! Never touch these components when mains power is ON! Even after power is disconnected do NOT touch until you are sure the tank capacitor is fully discharged.
Streamer Strikes!
Direct strikes from a running coil can kill! Watch out for secondary strikes too - a strike to a metal structure will flow internally and may exit the structure at a point near you!
Fire

Be aware of the possibility of Fire. Never run a coil near flamable substances. The output streamers can travel through wood and heat it up to the point of ignition.
Health Risk

Electrical discharges in air cause chemical reactions which produce toxic gasses such as ozone and oxides of carbon and nitrogen. Prolonged exposure to these gasses can cause irritation to the lining of the lungs and to eyes. Never operate your coil in a confined space without suitable ventilation.
Spark gaps produce a lot UV radiation. Never stare at a running gap.

Pacemakers can be affected by the
Electromagnetic Fieldgenerated around a Tesla Coil. Follow your manufacturer's advice and keep clear.
Noise

Tesla Coils are Very Loud! Wear suitable ear protection.
Accidents

Play safe! Don't operate your coil in cramped conditions. Give yourself and spectators plenty or room. Don't leave cables where you could trip over them.
Caution

Tesla Coils generate an Electromagnetic Field which can induce electrical currents to flow in nearby conductors. Do NOT run your coil in the vicinity of electronic equipment (e.g. computers, camcorders, house wiring etc).
Spark gaps and streamer strikes can cause EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) on TV and radio broadcasts. Think about your neighbours - they may complain if their favorite TV show is interfered with!
EMI can flow back through your transformer and control circuits and into the domestic supply. Electrical equipment can be damaged this way so use a mains filter.
Greetings,
Bertus

PS this text is made by deepfriedneon

Last edited:

anurag602

Joined Jan 17, 2009
i plan to give a 20-30 V dc input to a colpitts oscillator circuit which generates a 10Mhz signal ...this wud be connected to a series LCR circuit comprising of a aluminium coil of radius 20cm and has 5.25 turns with a capacitor and inductor whose reactances cancel out at a frequency of 10MHz.......is there any potential danger in this circuit? thanz for informing about the dangers though.