Wish to fix, and modify Garrison 1800w backup for solar charging emergency backup..

Donald J

Joined Apr 9, 2019
I am Don.. I have experience in warehouse repairing of home entertainment systems, but not in large power supplies..
I have a Garrison 1800-W (011-1818-4) Backup Power System, and a 30-V RV solar panel array..
Can these two be combined to function as a reliable solar-charged emergency backup..?
At the moment the Garrison unit reads it's fully charged, so I presume the batteries are A-OK, but there is no AC output..
AC power light is On..
Charged light is On..
Fault light is Off..
Battery Level light is Off..
Output Power light is Off..
USB Output light is Off..
No inverter fan running.. I have the covers off.. Where are all the secret fuses..?
I am just starting to get into it with the meters.. A little scary without a troubleshooting circuit diagram, given that it reads fully charged..
I'm supposing there are a few hidden nasty shock hazards.. Where are the shock-hazards located..?
What are the common faults that void AC and DC output in this device..?
Is there a troubleshooting circuit-diagram available anywhere on the Net..? I couldn't find it...

This unit appears to have been made very high quality...

Donald J

Joined Apr 9, 2019
I'm one for safety first..
Before I start any project, I say to myself "Safety Safety Safety", then I determine all the risks and dangers..
I Never dive into a dangerous thing without know where the dangers are.. I need to know where the shock hazards are in this device before I touch it...

Second thing I do before I start any project, is check for tiny living things my work might harm, and relocate them to a safe place, like a tiny spider.. They are life.. I have a huge respect for life.. I would offer the little bug my finger to climb onto, then take it to a tree leaf.. From doing that, I now see the tiny things in my projects.. Seems love has its rewards...

I really need to know the risks before playing in this thing...

Donald J

Joined Apr 9, 2019
If you need to know the risks,
Then You're Clearly not Qualified to Fix it!!

That's fore sure.. That's why I'm asking, here in this forum.. I got the dern thang fer free.. I want to use it as an emergency backup..
I'm gonna try to fix it myself.. I can't afford today's insane repair prices.. I'm on a cheap thht pension.. I'm trying with what little I've got, to get ready for the zombie apocalypse and shift thingawhoozits, for when the doodoo hits our fan.. I'm a survivor, not a big-shot super edyercumated wealthy hero-burger experdd.. Is there anyone there who has worked on these things, and survived..?

Covers are off.. I see fuses.. I'll test the fuses, and follow the output connectors.. Maybe there's a diode shot, or a dried-up cap..? I suppose it should explore the thing's circuitry with the meters cautiously, with high DC volt settings first.. That's really all I've got.. I don't want to discard it yet...