wisdom needed - first job.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Long question short, should I take a job that I am not interested in? (not much electronic involved). But if I take it, it will help me financially a lot.

Or should I just wait until I can find my dream job??

I really can use some wisdom and life experience here.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Boy, the answer to that depends on a number of things.

How long can you wait for your dream job (or at least a job that would move you in that direction) without starving?

How long would you need to stay with the other job?

Can you continue looking for your dream job while doing this job?

If the job you are considering is going to make a significant financial impact, such as allowing you to get completely debt free, in fairly short order (say a couple of years), then that all by itself might make it a lot easier to find and take that dream job when you come across it since you will be in a position to work fewer hours at the job that pays the bills while you look for that dream job and you will be able to accept a lower pay package in order to get that job that you really want.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
What will you live on while you are waiting for that "dream job"?
Well, I would properly work in a supermarket or something, I might (not confirm) get a part time contract work next year. (due to the work I have done for them this year, edit: but I don't expect a lot of money)

also, when I say "dream job", I don't expect to get my dream job straight away, but I do hope I can start somewhere electronic relative (stay in electronic, or mechatronic), and work my way up.

The job I mention in my OP is like 5-10% relative to electronic

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, I would properly work in a supermarket or something, I might (not confirm) get a part time contract work next year. (due to the work I have done for them this year)

also, when I say "dream job", I don't expect to get my dream job straight away, but I do hope I can start somewhere electronic relative (stay in electronic, or mechatronic), and work my way up.

The job I mention in my OP is like 5-10% relative to electronic
Well, if your choice comes down to working in a supermarket until you get your dream job or working at this other job that apparently has significant financial payoff until you get your dream job, why would you hesitate and/or choose the supermarket?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Well, if your choice comes down to working in a supermarket until you get your dream job or working at this other job that apparently has significant financial payoff until you get your dream job, why would you hesitate and/or choose the supermarket?
Good questions, here are my concerns :

• Due to my responsibility, I feel pressure to get some decent money into the family, working in a supermarket is not helping a lot.
  • There are not many electronics job in NZ, If chose to wait, there might be a long long long wait.
  • If I chose the other job, I am very likely to be NOT a happy man. (edit: for as long as I work there)

edit:
I don't know, maybe my brain is not functioning properly.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
  • If I chose the other job, I am very likely to be NOT a happy man. (edit: for as long as I work there)
In my experience, very few people ever get their dream job. Most of us have to work to live, not live to work. Take the job, and live your life. If the dream job comes along, great! If not, don't make the mistake of identifying yourself by what do to earn a living. You are not your job.

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
I had an awesome resume from 3 internships and i was not able to be employed right out of college because I wanted "the job" with "the pay". I ended up working in a supermarket for 3 or 4 months. After. I realized how stubborn and dumb I was being, so I took the next "real" job I could get. I ended up working for one of those CDM type companies for 3 years. It sucked. After I quit, I started at the bottom since my first "real" job had nothing to do with electronics. I had do stuff free in some cases. Then, I landed a contract for $20/hr.....that lead to an offer of a "good amount", but I turned it down. Instead, I took an offer that was lower (again sub par engineering pay) because it was what I wanted to do. They were kind of iffy, so they said, "fine, we will hire you as a tech and try you out for 6 months". I have not looked back since and I have got two pay raises and promotions since I got hired.

In short, you work to live, not live to work. It may take time to find a role you are comfy in, but never be "just content" and realize that the grass is always greener on the other side.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The first job I took, while as a design engineer, was in an area I did not find challenging nor inspiring, and thus I was not very good at it.

It took me several years to get my career back on track doing things in an area where my desires matched the job demands.

That said, a man's still gotta eat.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Take the job which will help you the most financially now. Even if it's not interesting to you,
do your very best. You never know who you will impress.