Wiring two identical transformers

Dexter8181

Joined Jan 21, 2009
Hi all,
I'm wondering if you can wire two seperate transformers with the same turn ratio together like the attachment. The primary sides are wired in series while the secondaries are wired in parallel. I'm sure this will work mathematically. What would happen if the impedance of the transformers were not exactly the same?

Attachments

Dexter8181

Joined Jan 21, 2009
Would I still get 1V out if I didn't parrallel the secondaries and just left the other one open and tied my load to one? I know my power rating would be cut in half, but that's not an issue.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi all,
I'm wondering if you can wire two seperate transformers with the same turn ratio together like the attachment. The primary sides are wired in series while the secondaries are wired in parallel. I'm sure this will work mathematically. What would happen if the impedance of the transformers were not exactly the same?
Absolutely. This method was used frequently for multi-line-voltage equipmnet back in the dark ages (when I was a "yute") :)

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Well ok, just in general what would happen if the voltages produced on the secondary coils weren't exact?
Your question relates to identical transformers. i.e. the number of turns on both primaries and both secondaries are equal. It follows that their secondary voltages will be equal.