Wiring Solar Cells

Kefka666

Joined Mar 4, 2008
I want to wire solar cells together to achieve an appropriate voltage (6-8V) and current (375-500mA). I'm still trying to understand what happens if I wire two solar cells in parallel or series that have different V and I.

For example:

Would an (8V, 250mA) solar cell wired in parallel to a (1V, 200mA) cell result in a combined [8V, 450mA] output?

Likewise would a (6V, 100mA) solar cell wired in series to a parallel connection or two (1V, 200mA) solar cells result in a combined [6V, 500mA] output?

If anyone could help answer these questions it would help me understand the concept or wiring power sources in parallel or series connections.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You wouldn't want either scenario; it wouldn't work. They would "fight" each other.

If they have the same voltage output, you can wire them in parallel to get a higher current output.

If they have the same current output, you can wire them in series to output a higher voltage.

It's much easier to use matching cells.

If that isn't an option, then you'll have to mix and match until you come up with a series/parallel combination of cells that are matched in voltage or current, before you can combine them with other cells.