Wiring Plans for battle switches for LED lights

Jesse05

Joined May 23, 2012
Hey all first time here so if i did something wrong i apologize. I know all my symbols for ever things not right but im just learning :/

So this is what i want to do. I want to use one safety flip switch to turn off and on a pair of LED light strips. im using LED switches as well. But i would like to use 2 extra switches for show. Not to do anything just want them to light up. I have drawn a diagram to explain my plan and would love your guy's input. Have i over looked anything? Safety concerns? Will the two extra switches mess with the leds lighting up? If it my pic doesnt show up heres the link :http://imgur.com/KSUKr

So to recap i want switch one to control the LEDs and switch 2 and 3 to do nothing but light up. Also im using 18G wire if relevant. Thank you for your time

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

I am afraid your diagram didn't make it. It was an excellent thought though.

How to upload an attachment.

To attach a document or picture to a post

Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom of your post,

One of several options will pop up,

Click "Manage Attachments" much further at the bottom of your post,

To upload a file from your computer click "Browse", then select the file.

Schematics should be .gif or .png format, pictures should be .jpg. .jpg formats will fuzz out schematics, and should not be used for that purpose.

---------------

If you want to display this file there is an old thread I made,

How to Display Attachments Full Size

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You did not follow the procedure I explained, so I did it instead. It is always better using the local procedures (there are several methods) to host images from this site instead, such as attachments.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can't run LEDs without a resistor. They smoke too much.
Go to "Chat". Look at the top of the listings for "Ohm's Law for Noobies". There is a part in page 2 about how to resistor an LED.

If that doesn't do it for you, there are other references we can point you to.

Hang on...are the LED strips rated for 12 volts? If they are, they already have the right resistor.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect the OP is using LED strips that already have something like this included. The ones I know about are meant to interlock.

This is why datasheets are so nice, without them all we can do is speculate in the absence of facts.

I have written a tutorial (and more) on LEDs as components. You might be interested.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers