Wiring Multiple Lamps in Parallel to the Mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecapsule

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi, I want to wire quite a lot of lamps in parallel and I was wondering how many could I have in one set? Also, ideally I'd like it to go to the mains due to the volume.

So, I want to wire as many of these as possible; http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Panel-Lamps-15x29mm-E10/15mm-x-29mm-2-4V-625MA-1-5W-E10

Much like fairy lights I suppose, but they have to be these bulbs :)

So far I've found that it's best to have a parallel circuit (though it is possible to have a parallel and series circuit combined I see). I've seen forum sites say I could have 10 X 20W bulbs in parallel saftely, though could I have more than 10 in a sequence with these bulbs?

What sort of cable would I use to wire these bulbs together? Would it be the regular 2 core flex? Or something else? I've also heard of some people using a terminal strip to connect it all together, is this advised? Or should I wire them without this?

Lots of questions!

Thanks,

Claire

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
First, mains-direct projects are not allowed here for safety reasons.

Second, is there a reason you don't want to use LEDs? They are cheap, efficient and so on and are the usual "go to" light bulb for projects like this. You could even just buy a string of them and boom, you're done.

The bulbs you have chosen require 2.4V. You would need 50 of them in series to use them directly off mains 120V. A failure of one would bring all 50 down. I think you would be unhappy with that. A safer and more practical approach might be a 12v transformer. You could then use 5 in series, and keep adding strings of 5 in parallel until you get as many going as you like.

Of course your transformer will need to be rated for more total current than you attach. These bulbs use 625mA, and that would be the same thru all 5 in a series string (or thru 10, if you use a 24V transformer). Each string added in parallel will require another 625mA. So you'll need a fairly large (= not cheap) transformer if you want a lot of strings.

Note that bright LEDs might only require 20-30mA, or just a fraction of what those bulbs use.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Note that your mains is 240 volts (i assume you are in the UK based on the web link you posted is in the UK). However, the bulb you show is 2.4 volts. You will need 100 bulbs in series. I please explain how you expect 20w per bulb. I am very confused and you need to do come more calculations and better explain what you want to do and why.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.