Wiring Four 110v Step Down Xformers for 220v

gatekeeperamps

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I have Four 110v Step Down, 16-18v Float, Usually drops to around 13.8-15v under load Transformers and I am wanting to wire them for 220v.

This is going to be a 200Amp Unregulated Power Supply 13.8-15v. I already have it built and the very second that I plug it in, the breaker switch that I'm using to turn the supply on is throwing it self. But it isn't throwing the breaker it self from the main. I followed a guys wiring but it doesn't seem to be working evedently.

So I have 4 Step Down Transformers with 110v Primaries, 16v Float Secondaries
I am wanting to wire them up using a 220v Line.....wanting to wire up the 110v Primaries via 220v

I am willing to send a little love offering to whom ever can help me with this and draw me schematics.

I will upload a picture of the transformers being used.

The four wires are the Primaries.

Well it appears it will not let me add pictures from my phone for some weird reason but here is the link to the picture from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vi7o71u15ac0iv/45-50Amp-Transformer-Diagram.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I know of no way to operate a 110V transformer (or combination thereof) on 220V without rewinding the primary.

I believe the four wires are the secondaries not the primaries.

gatekeeperamps

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Yes sir you can when you have more then one transformer......you hook it up in series to the primaries. It's two 110v lines not 1 220v line......and yes the 4 wires are the primaries....they are for different voltage output settings. I have built two power supplies so far using these transformers......just haven't wired them to 220v yet.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Placing two 110V primaries in series will only work if both transformers are identical and have identical loads on the secondaries. Otherwise, primary current unbalance will cause problems. Many transformers have dual primary windings. Parallel for 110 operation or series for 220 operation. Since they have a common core and secondary, unbalance is not a problem.

gatekeeperamps

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Its as simple as this.......these 4, 50 Amp at 12v Ouput Transformers are 110v Input.

I have built three power supplies already using these transformers.....I know them lol....This is just the first time I am attempting to usr 220v because I have to.

Ok....throw the blue anf yellow wires out of your mind in the pic...those are not being used.

So the simple question is.....if someone put 4 110v Primary Transformers.....Black wire is positive.....white wire is neg.....How would you hook them up to 220v input.

My 220v Plug is as follows:
Black wires 110v Phase A
Red Wire 110v Phase B
Green Wire - Ground

Not trying to be pushy but if anyone replies could you please please.reply with the answer....it will be a blessing and i am willing to pay......its tgis serious

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can connect the primaries of two 110V transformers in series to the 220V only if the transformers are identical and the secondaries (outputs) are also connected in series. Anything else and you likely will keep blowing breakers. :rolleyes:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
How are you measuring the voltage at your plug? At first, I thought it was standard USA house wiring but noticed you don't mention a neutral. WHERE ARE YOU IN THE WORLD??? Such trivial information helps those trying to help.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Its as simple as this.......these 4, 50 Amp at 12v Ouput Transformers are 110v Input.

I have built three power supplies already using these transformers.....I know them lol....This is just the first time I am attempting to usr 220v because I have to.

Ok....throw the blue anf yellow wires out of your mind in the pic...those are not being used.

So the simple question is.....if someone put 4 110v Primary Transformers.....Black wire is positive.....white wire is neg.....How would you hook them up to 220v input.

My 220v Plug is as follows:
Black wires 110v Phase A
Red Wire 110v Phase B
Green Wire - Ground

Not trying to be pushy but if anyone replies could you please please.reply with the answer....it will be a blessing and i am willing to pay......its tgis serious
If I'm reading this correctly you want to connect 120volt transformers to 220 volts. This will burn them out/trip breaker, because you are doubling the rated voltage at the input. As mentioned before, you could wire two of the primaries in series, but then the load on would/should need to be equal.

gatekeeperamps

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I didn't mention the neutral because honestly the majority of people that build these type if Power Supplies only use the 3 Prong 220v Plug......two 110v and ground. But I did use a 4 Prong Plug on this project just because it was the only one I had laying around.

I live in the State of Georgia and at my breaker box the Neutal Connects to Ground.

The only thing I am using the Neutral for is, I have two. 01uf 2kv Ceramic Caps in parellel wiyh each other(one leg hooks to the First 110v Wire coming into the Power Supply Enclosure and the other leg to the Nueyral Wire. Same the other 110v Line Coming in(Two. 01uf ceramic caps in parellel, then one leg goes to the second 110v Line and the other leg goes to the Nuetral.

I also have a Mov implemented to......look im on my phone and it will not let me upload pictures so im going to jump on my computer and show you all what schematics i have been following and pictured of this build. Thabks so much.

gatekeeperamps

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I have followed two different areas to help me with this Project!
#1 My Mentor Rick which is a GENIUS when it comes to these things
#2 Schematics of a Well Known 200Amp Power Supply

Keep in mind, the picture of the Schematics of the "Fatboy 200Amp Power Supply" is using the Exact Same Transformers as I am using.

I think I might have no explained my self well enough......I am not attempting to put 220v to the Primaries of the Transformers but use 220v to brake the load in half. Two Transformers on One 110v Line, Two on the other.

I'm not trying to put 220v to the Primaries, You have to admit, a 200AMP 12-15v Power Supply is very Hefty to run on a Single 110v Line right? That is why I am attempting to use 220v instead, to cut the Load in have at the input.

Ok, The First Picture is the Schematics that I pretty much Followed of a 220AMP Power Supply using Four 50Amp Transformers, EXACTLY AS I AM DOING....Keep in mind, this Power Supply is Well Known Amongst us type of Operators and works very well.

!!!!THE SECOND PICTURE!!!!!!! IS THE DRAWING of my Power Supply Exactly how it is wired up.

As you can see the BLUE COLORED WIRES COMING FROM THE PLUG TO THE PRIMARIES, MY MENTOR DREW THAT IN THERE FORE ME. I JUST SENT HIM THE PICTURE WITHOUT ANYTHING THERE AND LET HIM SHOW ME HOW THE PLUG SHOWED BE WIRED UP TO THE PRIMAIRIES OF ALL 4 TRANSFORMERS.

AS YOU CAN SEE I UPLOADED A BLANK PICTURE AS WELL IF ANYONE HAS A DIFFERENT WAY TO SHOW ME.

THANKS SO MUCH, THIS IS A BLESSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM STUCK OVER HERE, and the guy has been waiting for 3 months wanting this, I allready am making no money at all, just being nice to my friend.

I also, as you can see Uploaded the Picture of the .01uf and the MOV that I implemented.

Those are two SPST Breaker Switches. One 110v Goes on one side of the first one, the other 110v goes on the same side of the second one, then both follow on to the primaires of the Four Transformers.

About the MOV, I was told by my Mentor, if the MOV is over 220v then hook one leg to one 110v Line of the 220v coming, and one leg to the other 110v Line.

He said if the MOV is rated under 220v then to use TWO of them and put 1 Leg to one 110v Line coming in, then other leg to the Neutral Wire, then do the same for the other MOV to the other 110v Line.

SO HERE IS ALL OF MY INFORMATION NOW, THERE SHOULD BE NO QUESTIONS AT ALL. I HAVE PROVIDED THE EXACT DIAGRAM OF HOW MY POWER SUPPLY IS WIRED UP CURRENTLY RIGHT NOW, AND I HAVE SUPPLIED A WIRE DIAGRAM OF ANOTHER 200AMP 12-15V POWER SUPPLY USING THE EXACT TRANSFORMERS THAT I AM USING, 110v Step Down @ 16v-18V Float 50Amp(4 of them), being ran off of 220v.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, PLEASE HELP, I AM LOST....I'M WONDERING IF THE BREAKER ON THE POWER SUPPLY IT SELF IS BEING THROWN BECAUSE OF THE MOV OR SOMETHING YOU KNOW?????

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What was confusing was that you initially said you wanted to run 110V transformers from 220V. But you are actually wanting to run the transformers from 110V by using each half of the 220V output to neutral. That's an entirely different question.

For that you simply connect two of the transformers in parallel from one side to neutral and the other two transformers in parallel to the other side to neutral.