Wiring audio jack

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Hi, I'm having some issues wiring a 4 conductor audio jack.

This is the current configuration. It actually seems to have worked when wiring a female audio connector. However for the jack I have now the speaker works fine but the mic/transmitter does not. Depending on how I switch the nonground wires the speaker works or doesn't and the mic/transmitter doesn't work at all. Sometimes I can use the speaker as a microphone/transmitter as well. I would guess that the problem is the common connection to the ground but what would be the ideal connection then?

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Take a look at computer sound card.
The port for mic and port for speaker are two SEPARATE ports.
The port I'm plugging the jack into carries both audio data out to a speaker and takes in audio data from a transmitter. Weird, but I didn't design it. Both the Speaker and transmitter have worked before with different jacks I just am trying to figure out how to make it work this time.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The port I'm plugging the jack into carries both audio data out to a speaker and takes in audio data from a transmitter. Weird, but I didn't design it. Both the Speaker and transmitter have worked before with different jacks I just am trying to figure out how to make it work this time.
Hm, ok, sounds like Apple product. Good luck.

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
So I rewired based on iphone plugs with 4th ring mic third ring ground and the tip as speaker. Mic works now. Unfortunately the speaker is sounding fainter now too. I suppose the other unused audio channel is sucking up power. Somehow before I had a much stronger audio signal. What to do....hmmm.

Last edited:

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
the connector on the sound board is for a headset, mic and speaker. the first diagram is close, try reversing the mic and speaker leads.

Thanks, that is how I have it now. I want to boost the anemic speaker output somehow though. It was decent in some connections before but now for some reason is very low. Would combining the two speaker channels like this work?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi, I'm having some issues wiring a 4 conductor audio jack.

This is the current configuration. It actually seems to have worked when wiring a female audio connector. However for the jack I have now the speaker works fine but the mic/transmitter does not. Depending on how I switch the nonground wires the speaker works or doesn't and the mic/transmitter doesn't work at all. Sometimes I can use the speaker as a microphone/transmitter as well. I would guess that the problem is the common connection to the ground but what would be the ideal connection then?
This might give some help: http://pinouts.ru/