Wiring and mounting a LCD display to my project box?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I purchased one of these. As part of my first project in a very long time.

It will be part of the digital voltmeter for a bench power supply.

The datasheet says that it is to be mounted to a PCB. I assume a perf prototype board is a reasonable substitute?

I assume I mount the panel to the board? Do I glue it or double side tape it down? Or just use the various solder contacts to keep it down?

How do I then mount the whole thing to my project box? Do I mount it to the outside then get some kind of bezel and lens? Or do I mount it on the inside and cut a hole? How would I then mount it on the inside? I assume some kind of standoff but finding the right height could he tough.

The datasheet outlines the wiring but I see no where it shows the physical pin layout. The only markings on the LCD are A1, C1, A2 and C2.
How do I know what the physical pin layout is?

There are 20 pins in the datasheet and 20 pins along the top of the LCD. Can I assume these are my 20 pins? Which is pin one?

I remember Sarge's advice about running extra supply lines and having grounds between each control line. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks that is a link to the datasheet to which I was referring

And rats after reading the order description again, I think you are right it is just the back light. Classic noob mistake! :eek:

I guess it is back to mouser again! :)

I think I am going for this one . And return the back light :rolleyes:. I don't think I need one for now. Electronic Assembly displays are pretty expensive.

My question still stand then. How do I mount one the thing?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There are holes in the four corners.

You could use machine screws, rivets, plastic fasteners, epoxy, standoffs, basically whatever you wanted to that would fit.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There are holes in the four corners.

You could use machine screws, rivets, plastic fasteners, epoxy, standoffs, basically whatever you wanted to that would fit.
Thanks. So where does it go? On the outside? Cut small whole for cable. If on the outside then can I buy a bezel that fits around the whole thing? Or do I need to build one?

Or on inside? Cut large square hole for panel? I'm assuming inside but that makes the length of the standoffs more critical?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you're going to use ribbon cable, then I'd mount it on the inside of the case and use a bezel of some sort. It doesn't have to be fancy; just functional, and protect the face of the display while holding it rigidly in place.

Planning for easy removal is a good idea in case repair/replacement becomes necessary.