Wiring a Window AC fan

John M

Joined Jun 10, 2013
I am looking for some help with wiring, I am trying to build an exhaust fan for my shop using a fan and capacitor from a old 220v window unit. Unfortunatly my friend scrapped the unit before i could look at how it was wired. My main question is that this is a three speed motor (motor wiring diagram is in ledgible shape) when i wire this i want to run high speed only. Do i just use the BLK-Hi speed wire or all three? Also the capacitor is a Digital-Tech with four sets of terminals, two sets are marked FAN and the other two are marked HERM. There is no terminal marked COMMON which is what i am used to seeing.
Can someone give me some guidance on how to wire this so i don't smoke the motor?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hmm i've never seen this kind so I can't give you a reliable answer . Better wait for someone abit more experienced to give an input on this

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Are you seriously asking for wiring advice on 370vac system from anonymous people over the Internet?

I would hope my kids are smart enough to hire an electrician if they weren't trained to handle this. I hope you will hire an electrician too.

John M

Joined Jun 10, 2013
Thank you, I joined this forum to ask for help from friendly and Knowledgeable people. Apparently you are neither! But thank you for your reply anyway.

John M

Joined Jun 10, 2013
Shagas, Thank you for taking your time to look at this. I appreciate your courteous and honest reply. Again Thank you, John

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Are you seriously asking for wiring advice on 370vac system from anonymous people over the Internet?

I would hope my kids are smart enough to hire an electrician if they weren't trained to handle this. I hope you will hire an electrician too.

@John - I'm pretty confident that you would want to wire only the black wire. Even if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure doing it this way, you run less risk by not shorting windings together.

Anything I say here should be verified by our resident appliance McGuyver.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Use only the black and orange wire. If you think the capacitor is OK, you can use the yellow wire instead of the orange. Someone confirm me on this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is.