Wiring a small 2 speed AC motor

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I should know this....

How do I wire up a small 2 speed AC fan motor?

It has three wires, 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 White.

For low speed?

For high speed?

Thanks,
Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
The switch to which it was previously wired had Low and High.

It has been disconnected from the switch, and from the 110v

The switch also has 3 wires, 1 red, 1 white, and 1 brown, which have been cut.

Thanks,
Gary

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Well, the switch and fan that I have offers a twist, so I don't think if the fail-safe solution.
From 110VAC there is Black(HOT) and White(GND). The black goes to the black of my switch, I'll call it SB1, then from the switch SB2 it goes to the black of the fan. The white from the 110VAC goes directly to the white of the fan. The red from the switch goes to the red of the fan. My switch is a rotary three position switch, Off - High - Low. With AC often the only difference between the Low and High speed is a diode which effectively cuts the avg. voltage in half. I had to remove the diode from my stoves overhead switch so that I could replace the halogen lamps with fluorescent ones. Most fluorescent light do not like varied voltages.

So, bottom line, I can not really give you the definitive answer. I can only assume that the whit on the switch is the same as one of the black wires on my switch.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The AC wiring is slightly different from most DC wiring schemes

The BLACK wire is the HOT wire

The white wire is the Neutral wire, and depending on your situation either one could severely shock you.

The BLACK wire is HOT. When it comes to AC try to remember. BLACK is DEADLY

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The AC wiring is slightly different from most DC wiring schemes

The BLACK wire is the HOT wire

The white wire is the Neutral wire, and depending on your situation either one could severely shock you.

The BLACK wire is HOT. When it comes to AC try to remember. BLACK is DEADLY
Is that why my electric bill is so low and nothing seems to work! I knew that!
...Open mouth and insert both feet here iONic.

I'm changing my post above so that someone else does not read my post and then not your post. Thanks for the insight.