Wiring a Laptop

awe215

Joined Jan 6, 2009
I came into possession of a laptop with a blown out plug. It is an older dell inspiron 300m model. I was thinking that instead of purchasing a new plug, and power cable (which for this model I don't have), I could just use an old power cable from a different laptop (which meets the laptops voltage and amperage requirements) BUT, and this is the kicker, I would just wire it to the battery leads to supply the power avoiding the blown out plug.

Would that work? Would I just need to identify the +/- connectors on the battery adapter and solder the cables onto them? Would the voltage requirements be different for the battery then for the main plug?

I am including a bad picture of the connector, I will post a better one when I have the motherboard in front of me.

Don't those computers have to pass through a rectifier circuit frist to convert the a.c. to direct voltage? Also, I would assume that the battery is being charged from the D.C. output from the rectifier. Just a little memory aid to help you to get started.What do mean when you say a '' Blown Plug''.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I would not attempt it without complete schematics to confirm compatibility of the hardware. That is a lot of work just to watch more smoke come out.

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I take it this is the model where the battery clips in to the contacts you have marked?

If you look carefully at the motherboard connector you will notice more than two contacts.

This is because laptop batteries actually provide multiiple supplies and have sense terminals as well. To make your proposal work you need to satisfy the requirements of these terminals.

Which part is actually broken?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I wouldn't do it if I were you, cause battery supply's more than 1 voltage
You are better off soldering to the connector ( the adapter jck pins that is)Rifaa