Wiring a Digital Timer Switch

shoe624

Joined Dec 22, 2009
I'm new to this forum, but I read previous posts regarding similar situations. They didn't really help my exact issue...

I'm going crazy trying to wire a digital timer switch that controls mulitple outdoor lights in my home. I'm going from a standard switch to a GE digital timer switch (model #: 15086).

The digital timer has four wires: Green (Ground), Black (Hot), Red (Load), and White (Neutral). The Green and Black seem obvious, but I can't figure out the right combination for the Red and White timer wires. In addition to the hot and ground wires, I have 2 load wires (both black) coming out of the wall since this switch controls multiple outdoor lights. I also have a red wire coming out of the wall, which I think is neutral, but I'm not sure. Here's what I've tried so far and the results:

1. Connect both load wires from the wall to the Red timer wire and the red wall wire to the White timer wire. Result: Nothing.

2. Exact opposite of #1. Result: Nothing.

3. Connect one load wire to Red timer wire and one load wire to the White timer wire. Also, connect the red wall wire to the White timer wire. Result: One light turns on. When I reverse the load wires, the other light turns on.

4. Just like #1, but added a wire between the load wires and the red wall wire. Result: All lights blink on and off and I can hear the switch clicking when they change.

5. Connect only one load wire (not connecting the other one) to the Red timer wire and the red wall wire to the White timer wire. Also, add a wire between the single load wire and the red wall wire. Result: The light connected blinks on and off and I can hear the switch clicking when it changes.

I know some of these configurations don't make sense, but I was trying to eliminate some options.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated since I'm driving myself (and my wife) nuts.

Thanks!

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Shoe...

I searched the web for a schematic of this to lend you a hand but could find none.
I did find this response on http://www.fixya.com/.

It seems many, many people are running in to the same problem.

from fixya:

By wkmurray on Oct 17, 2009

" "
I just installed a GE 7-Day Digital Timer model 15086. It flashes the lights on and off when I turn on the power. Anyone know why?

I just bought one today and installed it. It does the same thing - flashes the lights off and on. After some research on the net, it seems that the problem is that an old house is wired with two pole wiring and the new fixtures, (timers included) are 3 pole. The conclusion I have found is that it will not work in a 2 pole wired house. There supposedlly are timers available for 2 pole wiring. I hope this helps. If you find out anything different, please let me know.
Comments:
Oct 21, 2009

- Found a 2 wire timer made by Intermatic Model EJ351C. It works perfectly and was a breeze to hook up and program. It's available at Mars Electric in Willoughby, Ohio if you can't find it elsewhere. It cost $20.00 plus tax.

shoe624

Joined Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for the reply. My house was built in 2002 so I don't know if that is the issue. In my case, it looks like it might be that I'm replacing a 3-way switch with this timer which is meant for a 2-way switch. I'd like to disable/disconnect the other switch controlling the lights because I don't use it and then try to re-wire this switch. Being new to all of this, that could be a challenge.