Wiring 220V euro appliances to 110V step up transformer

TheBigK

Joined Mar 23, 2017
So my question is how do I safely wire this transformer, I don't really like the posts they provide me.

Also is it just positive and negative 110V from the breaker box, and then an additional ground to the ground post?

IMG_20170323_124743.jpg IMG_20170323_124824.jpg

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That looks like a DC (battery) to AC inverter not just a simple transformer.

Do you have a model name or ID for the box?

Last edited:

TheBigK

Joined Mar 23, 2017
The top photo is that of my appliance, the second photo is the transformer

Yes, but I am asking about the input to this transformer, do you just spin some stripped wire on it and then screw it down? Seems like it should be more isolated than that.

I know how to wire the 220 side, I am asking about the 110V side.

IMG_20170323_124847.jpg

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The top photo is that of my appliance, the second photo is the transformer

Yes, but I am asking about the input to this transformer, do you just spin some stripped wire on it and then screw it down? Seems like it should be more isolated than that.

I know how to wire the 220 side, I am asking about the 110V side.

View attachment 123175
Thanks for posting the picture.
It seems strange to use binding posts (the reason for my question about it's function) for AC input but I guess that's OK outside the USA. Set the input voltage selector to the correct voltage and attach the wires per Dodgydave. I would use large ring terminals or lugs to be sure of a good conection.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If there is any isolation going such as with either a SMPS or a linear transformer, you want to ensure that the earth (ground) is re-referenced to the secondary side, the ground will do you no good if it is connected/sourced from the supply power and is not re-referenced to the secondary side.
A test first with a meter from secondary live to ground should read full AC secondary voltage, if this reads OK confirm it with a load such as a incandescent lamp.
It seems quite dangerous to have exposed terminals on the outside??
Max.

TheBigK

Joined Mar 23, 2017
If there is any isolation going such as with either a SMPS or a linear transformer, you want to ensure that the earth (ground) is re-referenced to the secondary side, the ground will do you no good if it is connected/sourced from the supply power and is not re-referenced to the secondary side.
A test first with a meter from secondary live to ground should read full AC secondary voltage, if this reads OK confirm it with a load such as a incandescent lamp.
It seems quite dangerous to have exposed terminals on the outside??
Max.
That's exactly what I was thinking, one would think there would be a box that seals all of this internally. Perhaps I will make something similar to shield it better.

Max you lost me at the secondary side. Which side is that?

TheBigK

Joined Mar 23, 2017
Here is a link to the manual, I will try to wire this tomorrow, and I'll draw a schematic before I go live.

TheBigK

Joined Mar 23, 2017
At a second glance I wonder if I could skip the transformer and wire this using two 110V lines as my power and neutral and then just ground.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Trace the wiring from the input circuit breaker to find out where it goes to. In post #10 you say that you have posted a link to the manual. There is no link. Are you sure that the incoming mains cable has not been removed before you aquired it ? What is the background to this device ? Was it geven to you ? Was it bought from China ? Which country do you plan to use it in ?

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am guessing the OP is in N.A. as this is the most common part of the world that uses 120vac.
If so, the OP just needs to feed the equipment from a dual 240v service panel breaker.
A L.A. Chargers fan maybe?:)
Max.

Last edited: